The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!davidc12/10/2008 - 14:54

Hello! I'm back from "vacation" (read: a nasty rootkit and spot of illness) and I'm pleased to report:

THE GOOD: World of Goo is out. Saturn are stocking it, indeed the Alexanderplatz branch even have it on shelves a day early (although they've put it with all the crap budget games)

THE BAD: Mediamarkt have it in their computer system but aren't stocking it and don't plan to order it.

THE REALLY UGLY: THERE IS NO MOON. I did a double take for a moment on the chapter screen. Then I played Observatory Observation Station again in case that triggered the chapter to appear. Nope, still just the end cinematic and credits. Indeed looking in res\islands and res\levels, there are no new chapter or level files!

What happened to the moon!????

[Edit: ok I just caught up on the forum and I guess the moon was scrapped. Slump.]

Last modified Wed, 12/10/2008 - 15:22 by davidc
Re: The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!matches8112/11/2008 - 19:02

Simple question: How much is it here in Germany? Doesn't seem to be available on Steam, sadly, because this is just the kind of game I normally get from there.

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!davidc12/11/2008 - 19:17

€19.99, it's also on amazon.de

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!matches8112/12/2008 - 04:18

Thx! Seems it popped up on Steam during the last two days, though, probably going to get that. Although... a retail box would be nice.

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!MegaVolt12/12/2008 - 11:20

Wait, it was out in the US and available on Steam there. But it could not be downloaded on Steam in Germany? Steam seems to be even more crappy then I thought ...
It's really sad that in our globalized world people try to keep markets separate. Very sad :(

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!davidc12/12/2008 - 12:09

[quote author=MegaVolt link=topic=1016.msg7192#msg7192 date=1229098809]
Wait, it was out in the US and available on Steam there. But it could not be downloaded on Steam in Germany? Steam seems to be even more crappy then I thought ...
It's really sad that in our globalized world people try to keep markets separate. Very sad :(

Steam uses some really hit-and-miss IP-based geolocation and doesn't allow you to change region. And it only lets you buy games available in your region.

World of Goo is available on Steam from a German IP address now, indeed it's only $19.99 instead of €19.99.

Normally their horrible geolocation also causes Steam customers outside the US to pay about double for the same game. And I'm not referring to the exchange rates; Bioshock for example costs US$54.99 if you connect from a German IP address, and US$19.99 if you connect from a US IP address. Outrageous!

-davidc

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!matches8112/13/2008 - 05:18

yeah, sometimes it can be pretty annoying to live in Germany, especially when it comes to gaming.
I don't really understand why publishers seem to feel the need to partition the world, even when we're talking about online distribution, where it shouldn't matter at all. I guess the reason might be that they want to put different price tags on their products based on the region's average income or some other economist thing.
But the Bioshock example really is pretty outrageous.

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly: World of Goo out in Germany!Oehr12/13/2008 - 12:26

theres a way to circumvent the steam system: get the games as a gift. im always doing it in order to get it
- cheaper
- uncensored

it works and is not illegal. just get someone trustworthy to buy the games for you(either steam gift or a retail us cd key for steam). thats why i have the orange box uncensored as well as some other games.

though it wouldnt matter where to get it when it comes to wog. im waiting for the wiiware release!

i hate germany when it comes to movies, games and everything digital and webbased! THEY ARE RETARDS!

Last modified Sat, 12/13/2008 - 12:29 by Öhr