Frequently Asked Questions - Addin Development
World of Goo uses standard OutputDebugString calls, so you can view them with a utility like DbgView.
The game creates a logfile in $HOME/.WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log. Note that this is overwritten each time you run the game.
Easy answer: Use the new strings file available in goomod version 1.1.
Please use the above method for new addins. For historical interest (and in case you need to merge a different file), the old answer is below:
Create a file in
Inside this file put something along these lines:
Notice that the | symbol separates the screens of text.
For more information, see the page about the merge directory.
Distributing your addin as a goomod file:
- allows the user to easily install it with GooTool without needing to run an exe or extract a zip in the right place
- allows the user to easily uninstall it, ensuring that no leftover files remain
- helps ensures your addin does not mess with future 2dboy official updates
- helps prevent conflicts between your addin and others
- allows your addin to be compatible across all platforms, as GooTool takes care of the difference in encryption and PNG file formats
- allows your addin to be distributed through this site
- allows your addin to be automatically downloaded in GooTool (coming soon)
See also: How can I create my own addin?
Check out the addin file format page. For the moment you will need to create a Zip file of the necessary structure by hand and rename it to have a goomod file extension. It is anticipated that a future release of GooTool will have features to assist in addin development.