How did YOU discover World of Goo?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
How did YOU discover World of Goo?DEFE12/10/2008 - 20:42

Just as the topic says, how did you all find this little beauty? I personally happened to spot it in the top 10 most active Wii boards on GameFAQs. Sure didn't stay there long, but it was long enough for the name to catch my attention.

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?Mincus12/10/2008 - 20:53

Played the "tower of goo" freebie thing ages ago. Didn't think much more about it and forgot about it entirely until recently when I spotted it on the Audiosurf forums or Steam, I forget which. looked at the demo on Steam, explored the website a bit and noticed there was talk of Europe getting an extra chapter, so I held off buying until the Europe version was released.

It got brought up again on the Audiosurf forums after the recent Spike nominations, wandered back over the website, discovered the extra for the European version had been removed and there was a Linux version in the works.
Ummed and ahhed a bit over whether to get the Steam version or direct from the website (Steam is easier since I'll always have that installed, but no Linux version), finally went for the website since I'll want the Linux version as well when it's released.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game though, and bonus points for no DRM and a Linux version. :D

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?The Happy Friar12/10/2008 - 21:42

http://www.kloonigames.com/blog/

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?Fede12/11/2008 - 07:20

From John Walker of http://www.rockpapershotgun.com

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?tair00112/11/2008 - 07:26

Was a big fan of the Experimental Gameplay Project all those years ago, particular fan of Kyle's games. About a year or so ago found he had another site and WoG in development, followed it from there!

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?Soultaker12/11/2008 - 08:53

Some pesky housemate who shall remain nameless kept bugging me about it.  ;D

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?spazturtle12/11/2008 - 12:24

I found it in PC gamer

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?Windmill212/11/2008 - 18:25

It was recommended in the Hub Computer Magazine...Computer Paper....or whatever it's called.

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?Macatttack12/11/2008 - 18:46

fun-motion forums.  :P

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?matches8112/11/2008 - 19:00

Some discussion at Gametrailers about piracy and such and World of Goo kept popping up as one of the most pirated games. So, I went to check it out, ended up here and checked out the demo. Great game. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be available on Steam here in Germany yet, so I guess it will have to wait. Anyway, that's where I first heard about it.

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?Weavious12/11/2008 - 20:42

I found it while browsing the Wii Shop Channel.

EGP & 2D Boythemacmeister12/14/2008 - 03:42

Found some of Kyles games on Experimental Gameplay Project (including Tower of Goo), then found WoG entered into the Independent Games Festival (WAAAAY before it was ready) :)

That led me to 2D Boy, where I instantly pre-ordered the game.

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?GooGun12/14/2008 - 10:22

Heard it on forums, ignored, but then watched my cousin play and I was enjoyed. Thinking it was free, I took a try, and was disappointed to see it was shareware, but I still love the game. :)

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?ynbniar12/14/2008 - 10:31

TIGSource I think...

...and I just got my 12year old nephew to put away his DS with some pokemon nonsense and play WoG...couldn't get him to stop  ;D

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?debbyc102612/15/2008 - 14:24

I was on a forum looking for suggestions for my grandchildren 5 - 6yr olds.  Among suggestions was WOG.  It sounded interesting enough to check out.  Immediately captivated, I purchased it for myself.  My 23yr old son came home that evening and was surprised I know about WOG - he too had just purchased it for his Wii and was going to "show" me his new game.  Great job guys!  Addicted Granny  ;D

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?Venriex12/15/2008 - 15:49

I stumbled upon a video from the game on some gaming site ^^

Re: How did YOU discover World of Goo?LK4O412/15/2008 - 19:40

I actually first heard about Kyle Gabler from the free GDC talk that he gave in 2006 (How to Prototype a Game in Under 7 Days ==> http://www.gdcradio.net/free_gdc_recordings/#a002873 ). There was also a panel with him, Jonathan Blow, Jon Mak, and Jenova Chen (Innovation in Indie Games ==> http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/09/independent_games_summit_next.php ). From there, I kind of became a Kyle Gabler fan, and I checked out the games at the Experimental Gameplay Project, and Tower of Goo, and from there, I found out about 2DBoy and World of Goo. :D