missing goo balls

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
missing goo ballsJ12/11/2008 - 12:46

is there some glitch in the game that consumes more goo balls then it should? i ran out of balls so quickly when i tried to do the big triangles method that i thought it was a bug...but then i noticed:

Balls available: 300 total
300 bound
0 free
0 new
Construction: 175 nodes
436 strands
Height: 43.71m
297 bound
3 free
0 new
Construction: 162 nodes
390 strands

Height: 44.10m
300 bound
0 free
0 new
Construction: 124 nodes
300 strands

Height: 36.68m

why are there so much fewer strands and nodes in the right 2 towers, that cant be accounted for by the 3 free goos? there is something strange with the game mechanics that manages to make certain joints require more goo than they should...

Last modified Thu, 12/11/2008 - 12:54 by J
Re: missing goo ballsSoultaker12/11/2008 - 13:35

Every node costs a gooball, and gives at most two strands. However, by pulling balls loose again, you can remove some of these strands while the node remains connected; therefore, some gooballs may be tied up and provide less than two (one or even zero) strands to the entire structure. Of course, you can also use goos as single strands only.

So if you have B balls used, of which N are nodes, there will be between B-N and B+N strands.

For the first profile, 436 is between 125 and 475.
For the second profile, 390 is between 135 and 459.
For the third profile, 300 is between 176 and 424.

So there is nothing necessarily wrong. How many nodes and strands you end up with depends on your building strategy. By the way, it's entirely possible to build the exact same structure using different numbers of balls. (Obviously, you want to use as few as possible, but sometimes that is hard or practically impossible.)

Last modified Thu, 12/11/2008 - 13:38 by Soultaker
Re: missing goo ballsJ12/11/2008 - 13:54

ah i see. doing the big triangles method forces one to commit many goo balls to single strand construction, so u end up with far lesser strands, but u get longer, stronger strands instead. i left math behind me in high school...haha but there should be some formula to calculate the optimal strand length to goo ball requirement. If someone manages to get this, or find a practical method to get greater strand length without sacrificing single strand balls for it...will pwnz badly.

Re: missing goo ballsKamal Hassiba12/11/2008 - 15:17

Oooh

it looks like someone is trying to beat my 44.1

I did not get mouch of what u r saying
all I know is some shapes can be done in diff sum of Goos, but I am not sure how

it happend that I removed some Goos from the middle of my tower, then I had to put them back againbut then ended up using double the Goos to build it back as it was