Buying the game

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Buying the gameGooGun12/14/2008 - 10:15

Alright, so many things are making me want to play the game (got a taste of the second world at my cousin's house), but I can't buy it myself... I'm considering piracy, but I am aware that it's a bad thing to do.

The problem is that my parents don't trust companies, and are doubtful about buying games online, and thus won't buy online unless they already trust the company that makes the game... and since the box version isn't available where I live, that's not possible.

What should I do?

Re: Buying the gameNicosmos12/14/2008 - 11:39

The only thing to do I can think is convince your parents. Tell them about independent game, about the creativity, the imagination and the innovation in the game. Say this not a game made by a big corporation that you don't really know if you can trust in, but by only two honest persons, and that thousands persons have already bought it. Tell them about the community, who shares a lot of things around the game universe, then about the quality of the game, and how is pleasant to play it (like construction games where you was a child). And if they don't like games, or buying on the Web, say games can be cultural elements like movies or books, and that Paypal is secure and that they won't take any risk (and it's only 20$, clarify this). And if you cousin have bought it, why not you ? ;D (I know, there are a lot of arguments, but it's the goal).

Or ... wait for the boxed version. Where are you from ? Do you know when it will be available in your country ? Maybe someone here knows ... ;)

Re: Buying the gameGooGun12/14/2008 - 13:28

Well, I live in Canada. I tried searching Future Shop and Best Buy Canada, but neither have results. :(

Any idea when it should be out?

Re: Buying the gameThe Happy Friar12/14/2008 - 13:41

[quote author=GooGun link=topic=1041.msg7266#msg7266 date=1229267743]
The problem is that my parents don't trust companies,

wait... yet your parents pay a company for internet access AND own a computer?  :?

go to the store, put cash in a pre-paid CC & BANG!  You can buy the game on your own.

Re: Buying the gameGooGun12/14/2008 - 14:26

[quote author=The Happy Friar link=topic=1041.msg7286#msg7286 date=1229280087]
[quote author=GooGun link=topic=1041.msg7266#msg7266 date=1229267743]
The problem is that my parents don't trust companies,

wait... yet your parents pay a company for internet access AND own a computer?  :?

go to the store, put cash in a pre-paid CC & BANG!  You can buy the game on your own.

Well, as I said, it's because they know the companies. But they don't know 2DBoy, and thus might be doubtful about buying. They always think that people could scam them.

Re: Buying the gameherminator12/14/2008 - 14:53

How about buying it on Amazon? Eg: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001ENOVP2/ref=dp_olp_2

More expensive than the download version, but perhaps they do trust Amazon?

Re: Buying the gameGooGun12/14/2008 - 14:58

Nope, they don't trust these companies. Also, they don't use Paypal. Are there any other buying alternatives?

Well, I could always have them buy the game and give them the amount of money that was lost, to make it seem like I bought the game. Is that good?

If so, sadly I'll have to wait for like 4 months until after my birthday because I can't buy things near Christmas; I'll be told to wait a bit after Christmas is over, then when that time is over, my birthday will almost be there, and I'll be told to wait. :(

Re: Buying the gameherminator12/14/2008 - 15:29

According to Kyle (one of the guys that made the game) it should be available at Walmart Canada (see: http://2dboy.com/2008/11/22/wheres-world-of-goo/)

Re: Buying the gameGooGun12/14/2008 - 15:33

Sadly, when checking the Walmart website and searching for World of Goo, they say they don't have any results...

Also, is the CD-Rom version the same as the version purchased online?

Re: Buying the gamewombat194012/15/2008 - 07:50

[quote author=Nicosmos link=topic=1041.msg7271#msg7271 date=1229272760]
And if you cousin have bought it, why not you ? ;D

Why not get your uncle or cousin to buy it for you? You then pay them.  But please no piracy ... doesn't matter what it costs!
I'm buying for my grandchildren and assume I can transfer it to their computer.
Oooooops! Maybe I need to check if I can do that!

No, better idea: buy it directly on there computer and I pay.  Got to think laterally man ......!

Re: Buying the gameAshmo12/18/2008 - 07:28

Try to find the retail version if it's out in your country or get someone else to buy it for you (friends or relatives with credit cards who trust PayPal or Amazon).

You can easily transfer it to your computer via USB stick or CD if they download it for you.

Re: Buying the gameGooGun12/23/2008 - 19:25

Oh yeah! This evening, after a little discussion that started because I was mad that I couldn't play Jingle Balls, I got the full version! :D

Thanks to everyone who gave their tips, especially Nicosmos.

Also, I start thinking that my cousin didn't buy the game. I'm not going to yell at him for that, though, for I could easily lose the argument, with a few injuries. :(

Also, I decided to pay him the amount of money that the game would cost. A very nice idea, indeed, because if there were any fraud, I would be the victim, not him. And since there are no frauds, it's as if I bought the game.

Re: Buying the gamewombat194012/23/2008 - 21:49

Do you really think we thought your "cousin" had bought?  ;)

Glad you did though.

Merry Xmas

Re: Buying the gameCeromus12/26/2008 - 07:38

Choices:

-  Purchase a pre-paid credit card.

-  Find out if the bank/company behind the credit cards your parents have give access to generates cc# for secure purchases online.  These are 1 time use cards that are useless after the first purchase.

-  Paypal also offers generated cards.  To my knowledge you need to install the paypal browser plugin though.