Buying through one computer and transferring to another?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Buying through one computer and transferring to another?wombat194012/15/2008 - 08:01

Said I wouldn't check this ........ but just in case .......

Download to my PC.
Pay though PayPal.
Transfer to another PC (Xmas present to grandkids from grandfather (that's me!)
Can that work or is there an apparent breach of copyright (non-intentional)???

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring another?Boudin12/15/2008 - 08:05

I don't think this is copyright infringement as you don't give the game to several people.
Technically you'll don't have any problem as there is no DRM protection.

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?geel912/15/2008 - 12:00

Well see, if you bought through Steam, no hope whatsoever. If you bought normally, just give your kids the download link. It'll work fine--the download works forever.

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?wombat194012/15/2008 - 17:35

Quote: If you bought normally, just give your kids the download link.

Yes that would work well. I could pay now and then my g'kids could download it Xmas day.

Thanks

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?davidc12/15/2008 - 17:59

[quote author=wombat1940 link=topic=1048.msg7309#msg7309 date=1229346078]
Download to my PC.
Pay though PayPal.
Transfer to another PC (Xmas present to grandkids from grandfather (that's me!)
Can that work or is there an apparent breach of copyright (non-intentional)???

They recently added a gift option, so when you buy it, you can customise the download link with a message and the recipient's name.

http://2dboy.com/2008/12/08/the-gift-of-goo/

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?wombat194012/15/2008 - 18:23

It gets even better?  Thanks

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?wombat194012/15/2008 - 18:31

Do not try to find the moon; that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the painful truth: there is no moon.

This has got to be pure co-incidence, surely?  Combat Sim, Sim HQ mean anything?

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?Ashmo12/18/2008 - 07:24

Depending on your country's laws, you can even share the same copy with your close relatives and best friends, provided they don't give it to anyone else.

The game is DRM free, so it doesn't matter where you download or install it.

If you want to share it, tell them to buy it if they like it, though. Indie devs need all the support they can get.

If you're going to get it for your kids as a gift, I'd suggest getting the retail if it's out in time, though -- maybe I'm sentimental, but a hand-burned CD with the title scrabbled onto it with a waterproof pen just isn't the same as a factory-sealed copy in a nicely finished DVD case (shame those cardboxes from back in the days didn't make it into the new millenium, actually).

If the retail's not out in time or you already ordered via digital distribution, don't worry, though: the game's enough fun on its own.

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?wombat194012/18/2008 - 07:46

Thanks for the reply.

I've now bought it thru Dig. Dist. for downloading on Xmas day (with personal message) by my G'kids.  I can't wait! They will download a single copy for their family computer.  And that will be it.  Paid for one copy  ........  will get one copy.  Sorry not into piracy but IMHO you are going to get @!+#> off.  I was into book publishing (engineering text books)and with photo-copiers ....... got partly @!+#> off.  Gov. here does have a rebate system but not the same a wholesale/retail sale.
Wish you every success with sales and non-DRM.  Sound as though you have a good/fun product. :D

Wombat

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?herminator12/18/2008 - 07:59

[quote author=wombat1940 link=topic=1048.msg7421#msg7421 date=1229604415]
I can't wait! They will download a single copy for their family computer.  And that will be it.  Paid for one copy  ........  will get one copy. 

Per installed game, you can make up to three profiles, so three people can play through it without messing up each others best scores, levels passed, etc. :)

Re: Buying through one computer and transferring to another?wombat194012/18/2008 - 08:14

Yes, fully across that now.  Thanks