New Cool Tower

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
New Cool TowerKamal12/17/2008 - 14:19

I have made a new tower under the name of Hussam at 40m with plenty of free Goos (15)
it is very similar to Kamal tower

I do not know why my IP shows that i am in US though!!!

anyway, here it is

Re: New Cool TowerGil12/17/2008 - 14:27

Very Creative  :) but Marius has that building style in his avatar, so it isnt that new ;D

Re: New Cool TowerKamal12/17/2008 - 14:40

thanks.
Yes he did.

I ran out of Goos with my Kamal Tower @45m
This one allows me to grab more Goos from the traingles on the side when it is in a balanced state
it is possible to break a record with those extra Goos

Re: New Cool Towerbfzydeco12/17/2008 - 16:42

Kamal, you are the man.
I think you can hit 50.

Re: New Cool TowerKamal12/18/2008 - 00:27

thats the plan  ;)

Re: New Cool Towerherminator12/18/2008 - 06:41

Very nice!

I'm now experimenting with extra large triangles, where all three sides are "long" (using your technique) :)

Started out with this:

But then I decided that "vertical" triangles are probably more efficient, so it became this:

Which I now need to narrow down (it is too wide right now, so I'm gonna take a layer off both sides).

But damn it's a lot of work creating those triangles :)

Re: New Cool TowerMarius12/18/2008 - 07:08

I've considered that too. Problem though, is that with extra large triangles, every node costs a goo, and every edge costs another goo. On the other hand, the increased stability is huge...
I'm not done considering yet.

Re: New Cool TowerKamal12/18/2008 - 08:11

Herminator:
how did u get those long traingles on all sides, I did not get it!!!?

How far/high did u get with the long triangles?

as herminator said, it is too much work, I got frustrated after 18m or so
but it should pay off at the end
with palistinian tower, it can go up to 45 with all 300 Goos (using the exra 3 ones)
it is not possible to get more free Goos

if those small triangles got converted to long ones, then that would add the extra 5m to get to 50 easily I guess
or not!!!!?
the small traingles are made of a single goo, the long ones require 2, so I guess not then.
what do u think?

Last modified Thu, 12/18/2008 - 08:15 by Kamal
Re: New Cool Towerherminator12/18/2008 - 08:24

[quote author=Marius link=topic=1057.msg7416#msg7416 date=1229602117]
I've considered that too. Problem though, is that with extra large triangles, every node costs a goo, and every edge costs another goo. On the other hand, the increased stability is huge...
I'm not done considering yet.

Yes, it is very expensive in terms of Goo used :)

I'm considering othe combinations as well. Maybe a layer on the outside that consists of triangles with only one long side (as seen in many top towers) :)

Re: New Cool Towerherminator12/18/2008 - 08:37

[quote author=Kamal link=topic=1057.msg7424#msg7424 date=1229605865]
Herminator:
how did u get those long traingles on all sides, I did not get it!!!?

Basically in the same way you make long triangles :)

You can start with one "long side" by building a pentagon or something like it , with the long side at the top. Then build a tower next to it, and dangle a single node over the "long side" in a position where it is in the middle and is just close enough to either end of the long side to add connections there with goo. Once you have one such triangle, you can use this method to constantly add to the structure. Somewhat time consuming, but not hard. :)

Quote:

How far/high did u get with the long triangles?

I got to 37 meters, this one:

That one could've gone higher, but when I tried to detach the top (so I could build again from about 25m) some goo got in the way, and I didn't manage to disconnect it fully, so it fell down :)

Which was why I then started a new one with the big triangles.

Quote:

as herminator said, it is too much work, I got frustrated after 18m or so
but it should pay off at the end
with palistinian tower, it can go up to 45 with all 300 Goos (using the exra 3 ones)
it is not possible to get more free Goos

Yes, it is a lot of work :)

Is there really no way to free goo on the Palistinian tower? Looks to me like making the middle hole slightly bigger by removing the two nodes at the bottom should be safe, no?

Quote:

if those small triangles got converted to long ones, then that would add the extra 5m to get to 50 easily I guess
or not!!!!?
the small traingles are made of a single goo, the long ones require 2, so I guess not then.
what do u think?

The long/big triangles do need more goo, so it is indeed not possible to simply make those small triangles bigger :)

Last modified Thu, 12/18/2008 - 08:39 by herminator
Re: New Cool TowerKamal12/18/2008 - 11:12

regarding palistinian tower and making a bigger hole in the middle for more Goos

that was not possible, it makes it very unbalanced and skew