Super Smash Brothers Brawl

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Super Smash Brothers BrawlWetterdew12/19/2008 - 09:58

ONLY VOTE IF YOU'VE PLAYED BOTH OF THESE GAMES!

Okay, so IGN made a 2008 awards list for Wiis.  World of Goo took tons of awards!!  Check out how many it won.  I don't remember.
http://bestof.ign.com/2008/wii/25.html#comments_top?p=1&s=DESC

Including the king of them all, the Wii's overall best game of the year award!!!!  YAY!!  The contest was mainly over Super Smash Brothers Brawl (SSBB).

What I find interesting are the comments on the article (below the award).  Most people think that World of Goo does not deserve the title because it's a WiiWare game or because they think that SSBB is just better.  I have clocked a fair amount of time into both, and I really think that World of Goo deserves the recognition of Game of the Year for Wii--it does so much so well and Brawl, while a fantastic game, definitely does not stand out so much in my mind (maybe because it didn't introduce something brand new?  It was the third game in the series, and it didn't really change that much).

So I was reading all these ignorant comments from Brawl fanatics against World of Goo.  I can't post on IGN, but if anybody here can, please go ahead!

Re: Super Smash Brothers BrawlSoultaker12/19/2008 - 11:46

What kind of poll results are you expecting here on the 2D Boy forum? ;)

Re: Super Smash Brothers BrawlThe Happy Friar12/19/2008 - 19:58

SSBB fanboys vs WOG fanboys.  ???

both games are good, but SSBB is a sequel, WoG is original.  Main reason to win.

Re: Super Smash Brothers BrawlOneBlindDragon12/21/2008 - 01:25

I love World of Goo, but I have to say SSBB, because it's just plain... more? I own both... and play them alot, but Goo's a physics based puzzle game vs. a Nintendo cat-fight.^^

Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawlamlabella12/22/2008 - 00:39

I enjoyed SSBB, but it felt too similar to the previous games in the series. World of Goo on the other hand is a very original game that I think is just as good as any retail Wii game that came out this year. It was definitely deserving of the award. Congrats to 2D boy on the win.

Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawlnintendude79412/22/2008 - 17:49

I voted for Brawl because I was anticipating it for a lot longer than I would've anticipated World of Goo.

Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawltair00112/23/2008 - 07:12

well according to ign, world of goo is the better game... ;)

The urgency to make lists is a silly human habit.bookworm8at12/23/2008 - 15:00

It would be cool if we could make a sorted list out of everything, with the best item on the top and the worst on the bottom.  There is so much cool stuff out there, and we all hunger for some authority or definite method that tells us what is best.  Makes life so much easier.

But reality is that you cannot make such lists, and you cannot express the difference between two games as a number.  A review score depends not only on the person who wrote the review, but also on the circumstances on which this person experienced that game.  Metacritic or Gamerankings only exists because gamers want them so much. They do not actually rank something in a meaningful way. The same goes for awards.

It is not that the data we have is completely useless. It's just that it is highly imprecise.  There is a good chance that a game that scored 5.0 is worse than a game that scored 10.0 . But you cannot conclude that a score of 8.5 means the game is worse than a perfect 10.0 . There are just to many variables that blur the data. 

Same goes for "best of" awards: Maybe it is interesting who gets nominated, but it is completely meaningless who wins.

That said, I'm glad this goty award went to WoG. It could as well have gone to some other game, like Smash Brothers or Mario Kart. But 2D Boy needs the publicity more than Nintendo, and, no doubt, this is a great game.

Re: The urgency to make lists is a silly human habit.Elipsis12/23/2008 - 16:08

[quote author=bookworm8at link=topic=1073.msg7693#msg7693 date=1230062422]
That said, I'm glad this goty award went to WoG. It could as well have gone to some other game, like Smash Brothers or Mario Kart. But 2D Boy needs the publicity more than Nintendo, and, no doubt, this is a great game.

This.

I think that Super Smash Brothers Brawl is an overall better game... but that's comparing a game developed by a huge freakin' studio to an independent developer.  I for one, probably have already put more hours into (mostly multiplayer) Smash Brothers than I ever will probably put into World of Goo... but World of Goo is a fantastic independent effort and deserves the recognition far more than a product put out by Nintendo.  It's hardly fair to compare the two as final products.