I will pre-order if...

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
I will pre-order if...the-wOndErEr5704/22/2008 - 09:17

.. the preview of chapter 1 is available to download for my Linux machine. I don't use windows. If there is a linux version available now, then you have my money....

Also, echoing the question already asked... If I do pre-order and have the Windows version open to me, will the Linux version be open to me when available? (i.e. do you have to specify which platform you want the game for?)

Last modified Tue, 04/22/2008 - 10:19 by the-wOndErEr57
Re: I will pre-order if...Dil99904/22/2008 - 17:39

I'm pretty sure that the creators are happy to let you download it as many times and for as many different platforms as you like.  I'm not sure if it runs on Linux currently, though.

Re: I will pre-order if...kyle04/22/2008 - 17:48

Yeah, you are free to download the game for any platform you like, you only need the one magic key.

We have heard from more than a handful of linux users that they have gotten the windows version to run under linux using some sort of magic virtualization technology - though I don't know much about it and can't offer direct support. Any linux people have success with this and willing to share details?

Re: I will pre-order if...the-wOndErEr5704/23/2008 - 06:17

Cheers Kyle, I will pre-order tomorrow evening.

I am happy to be a beta tester for the linux version if necessary. I appreciate that there may not be as many of us.

Re: I will pre-order if...Boudin04/23/2008 - 07:10

I'm interested in a Linux version too, I have both of the OS installed on my computer but I just use Windows when I have to use a software that don't run under Linux. If you need people to beta-test a Linux version, I'm in. I'm using Gentoo AMD64 with an ATI X800.

Re: I will pre-order if...Goo_of_Purest_Evil04/23/2008 - 17:30

[quote author=kyle link=topic=113.msg850#msg850 date=1208904502]
We have heard from more than a handful of linux users that they have gotten the windows version to run under Linux
Aye.

[quote author=kyle link=topic=113.msg850#msg850 date=1208904502]using some sort of magic virtualization technology
It's actually through Wine, which is basically a reverse engineered Windows (ie you don't need MS Windows to use it). You could definitely run it under virtualization, but for that Windows is needed, and I for one use Linux because I don't want Windows.

[quote author=kyle link=topic=113.msg850#msg850 date=1208904502]Any linux people have success with this and willing to share details?

We've got this working on machines with an ATI video card and Ubuntu/Kubuntu by:

1. Installing the latest version of Wine (just add XXX to your repo's, lookup wine in Synaptic / Adept and choose install, then apply)
2. Install Envy (to get the most recent video drivers) from the .debs at http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html (the purple buttons below Supported Operating Systems)
3. Run Envy and tell it to install the latest ATI driver.
4. Download World of Goo demo and click on it to run.

If it doesn't work, add the edits to /etc/X11/xorg.conf suggested in the thread "Tower of Goo runs great in Linux... Does WOG?" I'd also suggest staying away from the "upload highscores" bits as they tend to make Wine hang. Looking forward to the native Linux client to dazzle the world with my scores!  ;D

Re: I will pre-order if...t104/24/2008 - 18:09

Nice run through Goo_of_Purest_Evil!  :)