Quick tower questions

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Quick tower questionsDrHaphazard01/05/2009 - 20:23

First post here, excellent game!

So I am trying to build the tower at the end, hoping to crack 33, which seems to be the bottom of the leaderboard (or was, its probably like 45 now or something ridiculous.)  What puzzles me is there seems to be no way to save your position, or any way to take a picture of your structure so you can figure out what you are doing wrong/right.

Also there doesn't seem to be any place that tells you what your tallest structure was, although once i happened to see my own record cloud as i was building.

So...

a) Can you not save your structure at all?  Its tedious having to rebuild the base every single time.
b) How can you take a picture of your tower?
c) Is your highest score saved somewhere so you can see how you did?

...oh and finally, I see threads touting people's tower and "How to get above 40 meters" and what not.  Do most people here like to read those threads or figure it out on their own?  Personally I'd like to figure it out for myself, but so far I am not making good progress ::)

Re: Quick tower questionsSoultaker01/06/2009 - 04:47

Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
a) Can you not save your structure at all?  Its tedious having to rebuild the base every single time.

In theory you can backup and restore your player profile, but it could be viewed as hacking the game to improve your scores, which is frowned upon. I'm not sure how others feel about this?

Quote:
b) How can you take a picture of your tower?

You can use davidc's GooTool or upload your player profile on on my site. Gootool is quicker to take intermediate snapshots of your tower; my site is nice if you want to show off your tower to other people.

Quote:
c) Is your highest score saved somewhere so you can see how you did?

It's on 2D Boy's leaderboard (and of course old profiles on my site are stored basically indefinitely.

Quote:
...oh and finally, I see threads touting people's tower and "How to get above 40 meters" and what not.  Do most people here like to read those threads or figure it out on their own?

Actually, I like both. I don't like to build a tower by mimicking someone else's design, but I do like to read about (and look at) the designs others made. There are a lot of interesting techniques and I'd say it's very hard to figure them all out by yourself.