Braggers Rights Tutorials

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Braggers Rights TutorialsJohnsinski06/11/2008 - 02:54

Fistys Bog help please! I can do it but not very well. Last time I did it I think I only got 3 balls at the end. Would also like to see the no balloons version. Tutorial and Pics Thanks.

Also how do you take several screenshots while in goo (to make a full landscape picture) and then stick them together. I tried using the prntscr key. But when I alt tab to get to a paint like program, Goo crashes. Goo should have a built-in key to take a snapshot of the whole space and save it somewhere.

Re: Braggers Rights TutorialsMarius06/11/2008 - 04:26

Last question is easy: Go into windowed mode (Alt-Enter). Then you can use the printscreen/paste method.

First question: A good trick is to not put the balloons at the end, since that gives too much leverage sometimes. If your arm (or tongue?) is going up too far, try removing a balloon from the right and putting it a little further left.

That will get you 10 gooballs, if none are lost, and if you really stretch your building length, you can get 11 (somehow, I always have a lot of trouble getting to the pipe with 11 left-over). Have a go at it, if it doesn't work, I'll see if I can make a few screencaps later.

If you want to get 13 gooballs, like my highscore, it's going to be very difficult (understatement). Basically, you build down, then a bit up, then the weight should break down enough nodes to make a free-floating part of goo, which you have to constantly add balloons to and remove them to get it to survive, while also floating it to the right. Then when you reach the exit you just drag all left-over goos to the floating bit at the pipe. Oh, did I mention you also should make sure hardly any goos fall into the water when the links are broken?

Edit: Have some videos (XVID).
With balloons. Sorry, no 11, just 10. Not sure what I have to do different to get 11.
Balloonless. Got it on the third try.

Last modified Wed, 06/11/2008 - 05:07 by Marius
Re: Braggers Rights TutorialsBallisticsfood06/11/2008 - 12:36

Yep. Thats the method to get it with no connection. As for not using balloons, it's all about making sure you're secured to fisty with as little sway as possible. The best I've ever managed to do without using balloons was 3 gooballs saved (and they were lucky, because an instant after they got into the pipe the construct deformed and fell into the water below...

Re: Braggers Rights TutorialsJohnsinski06/12/2008 - 00:01

Wow, thanks, I'll keep trying.

How about the Tower of Goo(?) level. Some guy has a picture of a very narrow tower to the top. I can generally only get a narrow tower maybe one screen high, if that.

Yea, tried the Alt-Tab thing, Goo crashes (program crashes) so I can only get one screen shot. The tower guy looked like he had 3 screen shots added together. Maybe I'll try the Alt-Tab thing on a different computer.

Any pictures of a giant World of Goo Corp. tower? I got to 22.5m with 163 balls. Is the record for that of 36m legit?

Re: Braggers Rights TutorialsBallisticsfood06/12/2008 - 02:41

When he said alt-tab I think he meant alt-enter.

And as for the 36 meter record, BigWinnerUncleDave is the developers account. But don't worry, both me and Marius have managed to beat it in the past, so it is (just) attainable.

Re: Braggers Rights TutorialsMarius06/12/2008 - 03:42

[quote author=Johnsinski link=topic=136.msg1063#msg1063 date=1213246899]
Wow, thanks, I'll keep trying.

How about the Tower of Goo(?) level. Some guy has a picture of a very narrow tower to the top. I can generally only get a narrow tower maybe one screen high, if that.

Yea, tried the Alt-Tab thing, Goo crashes (program crashes) so I can only get one screen shot. The tower guy looked like he had 3 screen shots added together. Maybe I'll try the Alt-Tab thing on a different computer.[quote author=Marius link=topic=136.msg1060#msg1060 date=1213176371]
Last question is easy: Go into windowed mode (Alt-Enter). Then you can use the printscreen/paste method.
Anyway, to get this high, just build fast. Really fast. As you can see, it's not stable, I had to build sideways to get to the pipe in the end.

I've actually gotten to the pipe a few times without the wide piece at the bottom, but the suction wouldn't keep it up.

[quote author=Ballisticsfood link=topic=136.msg1064#msg1064 date=1213256464]
When he said alt-tab I think he meant alt-enter.

And as for the 36 meter record, BigWinnerUncleDave is the developers account. But don't worry, both me and Marius have managed to beat it in the past, so it is (just) attainable.You got it too? Nice :D