NEW INFO AND STUFFS!

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
NEW INFO AND STUFFS!tair00106/25/2008 - 18:34

Everyone seen the update on t'main page?

Multiplayer co-op on the Wii version! Every level!

I wonder if we can expect this on the PC version... ???

Drooling in anticipation of the next beta! Count me in Kyle!

P.S. Congrats on hiding the Profanity Pack from the ESRB!  ;)

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!Dil99906/25/2008 - 19:12

Questions for Kyle:
1.  By summer, do you mean the season, or before school begins (for us high school peoples)?
2.  How many players can participate in the Wii's co-op?  2 or 4?
3.  Who exactly is your publisher? 
4.  Is the 'E' rating only for the Wii version (since as far as I know, indie computer games don't have ratings on them), or is the profanity pack not as profane as we had imagined?

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!The Happy Friar06/25/2008 - 21:07

[quote author=Tair link=topic=143.msg1119#msg1119 date=1214436899]
P.S. Congrats on hiding the Profanity Pack from the ESRB!  ;)

loophole: mods don't need to be rated.  :D :D :D

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!kyle06/25/2008 - 22:19

1.  By summer, do you mean the season, or before school begins (for us high school peoples)?

We're hoping before end of summer vacation.

2.  How many players can participate in the Wii's co-op?  2 or 4?

Up to 4. It can get a little frantic with more than two, but it's up to you how many you want to play with

3.  Who exactly is your publisher?

For the Wii versions: Nintendo in America (and wherever Nintendo's North America region reaches). RTL in Europe

4.  Is the 'E' rating only for the Wii version (since as far as I know, indie computer games don't have ratings on them), or is the profanity pack not as profane as we had imagined?

The E rating is for both PC and Wii, and the Profanity Pack will be an unrated mod :)

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!Dil99906/26/2008 - 00:34

The profanity pack looks like it's going to be a repeat of hot coffee.  :D

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!BMH06/26/2008 - 02:20

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=143.msg1123#msg1123 date=1214458487]
Naa. Not even close. America freaks out when there is sex involved.

Anyway. Great news! I'm glad I'm getting the Wii version. And I'm sure you are glad that Nintendo fixt the exploit which let people to install pirated copies of wiiware games. I hope you sell a shitload of copies. These type of innovative games are important.

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!Tom Brouws06/26/2008 - 02:55

Great to have some updates! Kyle, are you planning to drop the current beta-testing system and ask for volunteers on the forum? In the current system are the people who pre-ordered early and volunteered for testing back then, which includes me.  :) I'm ok with both ways, though, as long as I can help you guys out.

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!hohlermann06/26/2008 - 18:55

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=143.msg1123#msg1123 date=1214458487]
This sentence bothers me.

The Hot Coffee modification for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was a third-party alteration to the game code that unlocked a sex mini-game featuring simulated intercourse (no actual penetration was visible).  The ESRB, when reviewing the game for an age classification/rating, was not aware of the inclusion of this content and gave it a "M" rating based on the content that it was shown.  The actual problem was that the sexually explicit content, regardless of its unrealistic and inaccessible nature, was contained on the official game media, and it was accessible using an easily obtainable patch.  Therefore, the issue was more the discrepancy between the content that was reviewed and the content that was actually shipped.  The actual content itself was quite benign, considering the context.

The profanity pack is, from the description, just a few sound files with vulgar words.  It doesn't ship with the actual game; therefore, the ability to apply this modification does not alter the ESRB rating of the base game, as it does not provide or alter access to material that is contained on the original disc or install files.  In addition, a parental authority would be in a position to control access to this supplemental material and prevent minors in their custody from viewing content that they considered offensive.

Be aware of the distinction between actual controversy over misrepresentation and freedom of speech.  Violence is more offensive than sexuality in my opinion, and words are just words.

Fuck.

Last modified Thu, 06/26/2008 - 18:59 by hohlermann
Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!Dil99906/26/2008 - 19:16

I was joking, you know  :-\

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!hohlermann06/28/2008 - 12:05

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=143.msg1129#msg1129 date=1214525781]
I was joking, you know  :-\
Sorry, I didn't realize.  I take issues of censorship and "protection" in the guise of authoritative control pretty seriously and wanted to be sure that there was a clear distinction between the "hot coffee" issue and an add-on containing words that will make you giggle.

An interesting follow-up to Take-Two's settlement:

Quote:
Lawyers shocked at lack of Hot Coffee claimants

Lawyers who won the Hot Coffee legal case over Take-Two and Rockstar Games have expressed shock that very few people have made a claim.

Those who bought Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas could file a claim for between USD 5 and USD 35 if they were offended by the infamous hidden sex games – but so far only a paltry 2,676 people have bothered to do so.

This lack of interest is seen by some that the case was meritless from the very beginning. Theodore Frank, director of the Legal Center for the Public Interest at the American Enterprise Institute, said the effort to claim USD 1.3 million will prove the case against Take-Two was worthless.

"There are two possibilities. Possibility one is they have a meritorious lawsuit and they’re selling out the class for attorneys' fees.

"The other possibility is that, and frankly I think this is the more likely possibility, they brought a meritless lawsuit that had no business being brought to court at all," he told the paper.

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!The Happy Friar06/30/2008 - 08:44

[quote author=kyle link=topic=143.msg1122#msg1122 date=1214450356]

We're hoping before end of summer vacation.

I don't get a summer vacation, I'm a working stiff.  does that mean I don't get the game?  ;)

hotcoffee was made an issue because people now a days are whinny pissants.  LSL7 had a "hardcore" sex scene at the end if you did things properly & show everything but penetration as easter eggs during the numerous sex scenes throughout the game (reason it wasn't included in the last Sierra LSL compilation set).  You had to illegally modify the GTA to get that "scene".  You had to go out of your way to get the files for GTA & go out of your way to see it.  In LSL you just had to explore the game, which was the purpose of the game.

Rockstar should of sued the ESRB for using content that wasn't accessible legally (pretty much a mod) as a basis for a rating.  No different then people making sex scenes with garry's mod, just people are out to take on rockstar.

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!Marius07/01/2008 - 09:44

Multiplayer? Awesome! I really hope they'll be able to make multiplayer for the pc. I read there are games that use multiple connected mouses for different players, I'm not sure about the details though. Maybe over LAN would be an option as well?

Edit: Ragdoll Kungfu uses it, and also this guy seems to have open source code to use it in homemade applications.

Edit: I'm now using 2 different mouses in windows via cpnmouse:P It's a little buggy, since everything in windows isn't made to use 2 mouses (for example selecting stuff won't work as expected) but I can imagine it working perfectly if the application it's used in is designed for it :)

Last modified Tue, 07/01/2008 - 10:24 by Marius
Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!Ballisticsfood07/01/2008 - 14:19

So even if there isn't a built in 2 mouse mode we'll be able to fudge it in the time honoured traditions of longing gamers everywhere?

Win!

Re: NEW INFO AND STUFFS!Marius07/02/2008 - 07:25

[quote author=Ballisticsfood link=topic=143.msg1143#msg1143 date=1214939973]
So even if there isn't a built in 2 mouse mode we'll be able to fudge it in the time honoured traditions of longing gamers everywhere?

Win!

It's unlikely that we can get it to work when they don't build support for it, since that would probably require the source code or heaps of skill. It shouldn't be too hard to include it while developing, though, since they already have similar code for the Wii.