Thank you for the Linux port

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Thank you for the Linux portRay02/17/2009 - 22:17

Im shure there are a lot topics around but I just wanted to thank you, that you recognize us as customers :) I hope you'll do more ports in the future

Btw:

If I buy the game, do i have access to all packages for Linux?
I use Gentoo amd64 and Ubuntu 8.04 32bit

Re: Thank you for the Linux portNicosmos02/18/2009 - 02:57

Quote:
If I buy the game, do i have access to all packages for Linux?

Yes, all packages for Linux + the package for Mac OS X + the package for Windows, in a personal page which will be updated each time there will be a new version. :)

Re: Thank you for the Linux portRay02/18/2009 - 07:53

Nice,

Im on my way buying it :)

Re: Thank you for the Linux portPolonium-21002/19/2009 - 14:12

I'd like to second this.  I was going to buy World of Goo after playing it at a friend's place, but my long-houred job most of the time requires me to be in Linux and I held off.

Now a Linux version is out, I've bought it, if only to make my lunch breaks more fun!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portkhtaam02/19/2009 - 18:21

I also wanted to thank 2D Boy for this port to linux, after playing the demo I just had to buy it.

Hoping to see more great games for linux :-)

Thank you!

Cheers

Re: Thank you for the Linux portTheOldMan02/19/2009 - 21:05

I also wish to express my enthusiastic appreciation for the linux port. This is one of the main reasons I will purchase it, the other being the windows version runs flawlessly in wine on my Debian system (for when I wish to run it in windowed mode and not full screen).  :)

Re: Thank you for the Linux portSoultaker02/20/2009 - 06:48

Pro tip: hitting alt-enter makes the Linux version switch to windowed mode too. ;)

Re: Thank you for the Linux portTheOldMan02/20/2009 - 12:02

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1481.msg10059#msg10059 date=1235130485]
Pro tip: hitting alt-enter makes the Linux version switch to windowed mode too. ;)

*applause*

Re: Thank you for the Linux portJanusz1102/20/2009 - 16:06

Good thread!

And, yes, I say thank you as well!

Looking forward to some more fun games on Linux from you guys!

Re: Thank you for the Linux porttoadwarrior02/21/2009 - 12:28

I've just bought the Linux port today. Well worth the money. I've played it on the Wii but I don't really use Windows any more so this was a most excellent joy to find. 8)

Re: Thank you for the Linux portRetrograde7702/21/2009 - 14:19

Completed the demo, loved it.  That and the support of Linux made this a must buy.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next, and with Linux support I will be there to buy it :)

Re: Thank you for the Linux portbralkein02/21/2009 - 15:06

Just thought I'd add my voice to the happy crowd of Linux users. I use a less well-known distro myself and the game fired up first time with no problems. Good stuff. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any future offerings.

Re: Thank you for the Linux portSideshow Bob02/21/2009 - 15:09

Thanks a lot for the Linux port! I've just switched from Vista to Ubuntu and that's another good reason to stick with it. :)

Re: Thank you for the Linux portchadnickbok02/21/2009 - 17:32

I played the windows version on Linux under WINE, and I was very happy that it wine'd perfectly.

But thanks for the 'native' linux version! I got the windows version from a friend, but as soon as I heard of the linux version, I hopped online and bought it.

I love you 2d boy!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portjimmyjazz95102/23/2009 - 06:21

Just another thank you for Linux port.  I bought and played on Windows but prefer Linux.  I just downloaded and loved it wineless and windowless.  Thank you

Re: Thank you for the Linux portprofessorchaos02/23/2009 - 14:25

I also would like to thank 2D boy for the linux version.
Because of your linux version, I purchased the game which I already own for the wii. I love your game and appreciate your consideration of the small market shares os platforms. Thank you. And I will recommend this game to everyone I can.
Dan-

Re: Thank you for the Linux portGoo_of_Purest_Evil02/25/2009 - 23:43

+1 For so long I've been waiting for a really great game that was also released natively on Linux. Thankyou for supporting us and giving the geeks something fun to play. Thank you for keeping it DRM and region free. Thankyou for reminding the whole games industry that games are about FUN!

I only wish I could buy your next game NOW! :D

Re: Thank you for the Linux portkosmi02/26/2009 - 12:24

Wonderful game in every gameplay segment (story, artwork, humor, sound and video), light on resource and ported very well! What a funny game! So just go and bougth it, because 2dboy deserves much more love and money from our Linux world. Hope there will be WoG 2 (if that is in 2dboy's plan?) ported for Linux too.

Huge thanks for everyone involved at development of this magnificent and magic game :-*.

Re: Thank you for the Linux portTwilightman4202/26/2009 - 19:53

Just signing my thanks as well. Don't play games much these days, too busy with grad school, getting married, etc. I tried Vista, it crashed on me, costing me a good few days worth of work I should have backed up. Switched back to Linux full time (switched back to windows for Fallout 3). Been bummed I have not been able to play many good games in the time I have, been having a blast with Goo. Great game, great job on the port! Love you guys!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portajalkane03/01/2009 - 14:14

Adding my small "thank you 2D boys" here too. One of the main reasons for me buying this game was it being DRM free and the promise of Linux port (of course it being an excellent game was important :). Thank you, and also a big thanks to Maks for the excellent work on porting!

Many thanks!dentaku03/02/2009 - 18:48

Me too! I'm really happy to see (at least a few) games bring back gaming (and not only capitalistic corporating ...) to life! I grew up in the great times of computer gaming with C64, Amiga & Co. Just to see that the last years were just a race for graphics and thousands of 1st/3rd person shooters. And now such a fantastic playable, funny, adorable game ... also for Linux! Yahooooo! :D After playing the demo on my 64 Bit Ubuntu, I just bought the game and played the remaining levels. Great stuff! Big cinema! Cool game!

Perhaps, if you guys get the deserved income, please check your download logs - and release your next game for Linux first!  ;D  Just to show all that Linux users are willing to pay money for good software! Especially for such very good crafted and funny games. Keep going and show more of your talent! Thanks again! :-*

Last modified Mon, 03/02/2009 - 18:50 by dentaku
Re: Thank you for the Linux porttiktak03/05/2009 - 15:29

A big thanks from me as well!
Continue making such great games and continue making them cross-platform and I will continue buying them :)
Most fun 16.31EUR I have spent in quite a long time :)
Currently working my way through chapter 2!

P.S. 2D Boy somehow sounds smexy for a company too, grats for that :D And may you be spared by that "second system effect" you dreaded! Please upgrade your forum server though, it seems it is at its utter limit quite frequently..

Re: Thank you for the Linux portBoepie09/16/2009 - 00:46

Hey,

I don't usually post on forums but I registered just because I wanted to to add my voice of appreciation.  Great game, great port. I hope we will see more from 2dboy in the future, especially on Linux!  ;D

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: Thank you for the Linux portwazo2k09/20/2009 - 00:18

Thanks for making your game available for linux!! Best 20$ I spent in a while!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portnathantrip41109/21/2009 - 04:55

[quote author=Boepie link=topic=1481.msg14410#msg14410 date=1253079960]
Hey,

I don't usually post on forums but I registered just because I wanted to to add my voice of appreciation.  Great game, great port. I hope we will see more from 2dboy in the future, especially on Linux!  ;D

Thanks,
Andrew

Same here.
I'm glad you've made it available for linux. Keep up the support!

Re: Thank you for the Linux porthronstve09/22/2009 - 20:51

I've heard a lot of impressive things about Linux, and it was really interesting! I'm planning to purchase Linux port.I'm excited to use it.
Thanks for the info.

Re: Thank you for the Linux portfoibey09/24/2009 - 13:46

Another linux user here chipping in gratitude for distributing a native linux version. Bizarrely my housemate had more issues running the Windows version (thankfully fixed with a good old reboot). It's nice having a decent quality game that doesn't end up dragging along because of WINE's overheads.

Re: Thank you for the Linux portRafinesque10/17/2009 - 22:03

I already bought WOG on Steam, but I made another "donation" this week, during the anniversary deal, in support of the Linux version.  I hope the developers see this thread.

Re: Thank you for the Linux portGen2ly10/18/2009 - 02:48

Yes, gotta say I very much love this game.  Thank you 2D BOY!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portchiossif10/18/2009 - 10:36

Another thank for the LINUX port.

You 2dBOY'z REALLY ROCK. I've told all of my friends and colleagues about this GREAT GAME.

Απλά... ΔΕΝ ΥΠΑΡΧΕΙ !!!
(Simply... It doesn't exist in Greek)

Ch Iossif
ATH, GR

Re: Thank you for the Linux portNaproxeno10/22/2009 - 16:51

And another thank you for porting an awesome game to Linux. Really appreciated!

Best luck to you 2D BOY!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portprodigalnoob10/23/2009 - 00:47

Good thread! ;)

And, yes, I say thank you as well!

Looking forward to some more fun games on Linux from you guys!

Sven Condon

(spam link deleted by davidc)

Last modified Tue, 11/03/2009 - 14:18 by davidc
Re: Thank you for the Linux portCorax10/23/2009 - 08:22

I'd like to chime in to the praise for a Linux version of this game.

I played the demo and liked it – must have been ages ago – and just found out about the birthday event. I don't think I would have bought it without a Linux version, no matter the price. Good job!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portmistereveready10/23/2009 - 14:03

Thanks too, I appreciate not having to use microsofts mean bean machine to play this game as well.

Re: Thank you for the Linux portDeathKitten10/23/2009 - 16:33

Another full time Linux user here saying thank you!

A friend of mine actually bought my copy for me, randomly IMed me the link to download without any warning, and I was so hooked I stayed up until 4am playing it that night. Then I proceeded to spread the love to other people. I made a friend of mine download the demo and tell me what she thought, then I bought her a copy when she told me she liked it. Apparently one of her friends liked it enough to buy a copy also, and I think she bought a copy for her boyfriend. Of the bunch, I'm the only Linux user, but if I hadn't been able to play it, they may have never found it. :)

I look forward to seeing what other fun games come out of 2D Boy in the future! Keep up the great work and the Linux love!

Re: Thank you for the Linux porthetx10/24/2009 - 06:51

Thank you for porting this amazing game to Linux! Registered just to say that.

Re: Thank you for the Linux portKIAaze10/24/2009 - 07:29

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu! :D

Re: Thank you for the Linux portVadi10/24/2009 - 08:21

thank you!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portEddward10/24/2009 - 12:52

Thanks for making a good game and for porting it to Linux.

Re: Thank you for the Linux portSoSurrey10/24/2009 - 13:54

Just wanted to add another thanks to this thread!  Fantastic game!  Paid full price during the sale due to the Linux port being available, and not having DRM.  If I had to run the game through wine, I would hate to pay full price.  I shall certainly be recommending your game to all my friends!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portNevon10/24/2009 - 16:05

I registered just now to be able to say thank you for giving us Linux users the opportunity to play this game. I actually bought the game through steam at first, because I didn't know it was available for Linux. When I found out, I actually bought it again just so that I would show up as a Linux user in your statistics. ;D

So, thank you again for taking the time to develop this game for Linux!

Re: Thank you for the Linux portchickpea10/25/2009 - 09:56

Let me add, that I purchased the Linux version a long time ago (like sometime last winter) for the full price, and I have to say that it was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY.  I am not a "gamer", in fact, WoG is the ONLY game I own, but I bought it immediately upon playing the demo, such was its quality.  I have to say at no point was I disappointed with the game (although there were some problems with the emulated 64-bit port that seem to have been cleared up with 1.41).  I understand that not everyone can afford to pay what I paid for this game, but quite honestly, paying anything less than $1.00 for this game (heck $5.00) is a real slap in the face considering 1) this is a fantastic game that gives wonderful enjoyment 2) it is available over numerous platforms 3) it is free of DRM hassles 4) it has linux versions (only OS I use), 5)  the devs are just two dudes with their own shop, not some big corporation with board of directors meetings, earnings reports, shareholder proxy battles, and all that corporate BS. 

THANK YOU 2DBOY for this fantastic game! 

The best Linux game in a very long time!jammiii10/25/2009 - 11:19

Many thanks for creating such a high quality game that runs superbly well on the Linux platform.  You have my continued loyalty.

Juan Melendez, Eightminds.com