I just want to thank you!

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
I just want to thank you!Voodooman02/18/2009 - 02:31

Hi,
I am 33 years old and I've been playing video games since 1987. Recently I have been feeling fed up, I haven't been feeling like playing games anymore. And then came your game.
You've made an amazing game, so clever, so simple, so good  looking, so amazingly great in every way. These were 20 dollars really well spent!
And one question; I would like to install the game in three of my PCs. I know World of Goo is DRM free, I just wanted to know if it's OK with you.
Thank you so much for the joy, the emotions and the respect you've given us!

Re: I just want to thank you!davidc02/18/2009 - 08:52

Theoretically, no:

Quote:

1.1 License Grant. 2D BOY hereby grants to you a non-exclusive license to use a single copy of the object code version of the Game for your personal, non-commercial home entertainment use on one personal computer or other compatible electronic device.  You may sell or transfer your copy of the Game to another person along with, and subject to, your rights under this EULA, only if you do not retain any copies.

Practically, I don't think anyone's going to care if it's just you playing :)

-davidc

Re: I just want to thank you!TheHermit02/18/2009 - 10:59

Oh well... Broke that rule already then! :o
Got the Windows version on my main PC and the Linux version on my Acer Aspire One notebook with the same profile shared between them (a little script that copies the most up to date one to the other machine) :D

Lock me up now then if this is a problem, as it's great sitting there in bed, cooking in the kitchen, or sat on the toilet ( :o ) while doing a level then flicking back onto my main PC for the next bit. None stop gooey goodness!  :P

Re: I just want to thank you!davidc02/18/2009 - 20:53

[quote author=TheHermit link=topic=1482.msg9936#msg9936 date=1234972770]
Oh well... Broke that rule already then! :o
Got the Windows version on my main PC and the Linux version on my Acer Aspire One notebook with the same profile shared between them (a little script that copies the most up to date one to the other machine) :D

I'll just take that opportunity to plug GooTool then, which lets you quickly backup/restore/move between machines :-)

-davidc

2 copies on one computer?themacmeister02/18/2009 - 22:31

I have a dual-boot machine, XP + Linux, and have a copy on each...

broken the EULA already  :'(

Re: I just want to thank you!TheHermit02/19/2009 - 00:30

Ah but that is still on ONE PC... which is allowed by the EULA! ;)

Re: I just want to thank you!Ray02/19/2009 - 10:03

That Eula is just plain stupid. I have 4 Computers standing in my room. And I definitely wont buy one Version for each.

Re: I just want to thank you!TheHermit02/19/2009 - 11:09

Check the EULA on just about ANY game and it will say something about only installing it on ONE PC or one licensed version per PC...
This rarely causes problems for LAN play but with some games only ONE will play on the net at a time!

Now what I want to know is why does the EULA say:

Quote:

1.1 License Grant. 2D BOY hereby grants to you a non-exclusive license to use a single copy of the object code version of the Game for your personal, non-commercial home entertainment use on one personal computer or other compatible electronic device.  You may sell or transfer your copy of the Game to another person along with, and subject to, your rights under this EULA, only if you do not retain any copies.

yet you get a link to ALL versions when you buy it... Surely if this was meant you would have to buy the correct version you want for your machine like any other game?

Now imagine the shock if somebody like EA suddenly did this with all their games...

Re: I just want to thank you!Soultaker02/19/2009 - 11:27

I think the EULA just establishes minimal rights granted to the end-users. That doesn't imply that any other use of game is explicitly prohibited. The game ships without any DRM which means that 2D Boy trusts you, the customer, to make a reasonable decision on how to use the game.

Personally, I don't think installing the game on several computers you own, or playing with several people on a single computer, is necessarily a violation of the EULA or 2D Boy's trust in you. Just be sensible.

(Disclaimer: all of this is my personal opinion only. ;))

Re: I just want to thank you!TheHermit02/19/2009 - 14:21

Nice disclaimer! :D

Re: I just want to thank you!Ray02/19/2009 - 20:57

Hm, legal stuff drives me crazy cause it is never clear what they actually mean. Nontheless I think that the Eula should be reframed to make it clearer.

But no DRM, nevermind :)

Re: I just want to thank you!Voodooman02/20/2009 - 02:40

I'm playing the game in four different PCs,two of them  connected to the internet.  I just hope that 2D boys are able to see that I have paid for my copy and that I'm a legal owner.

Re: I just want to thank you!TheOldMan02/20/2009 - 03:17

[quote author=TheHermit link=topic=1482.msg9936#msg9936 date=1234972770]
...sat on the toilet ( :o ) while doing a level then flicking back onto my main PC for the next bit. None stop gooey goodness!  :P

You should never put those two, one right after the other.
Just sayin...

Re: I just want to thank you!TheHermit02/20/2009 - 10:25

:) :D ;D 8)

Well if I'd meant that I'd have said gooey madness... :-X