World of Goo 5$ on Steam Pushed Me Over

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
World of Goo 5$ on Steam Pushed Me OverEternalStar03/07/2009 - 05:58

I'm a big pirate when it comes to most games, however if a game has garnered enough praise, or if I really enjoyed it after pirating I tend to buy it (HalfLife 2 was a great example) however while I don't have much disposable income due to being on state disability from a work related injury I for some reason am always up to plunking down 5-10$ for a downloadable game, I'm just a sucker like that. My scottish heritage tends to overwrite my innate need buy these games once the price passes the 10$ range.

After hearing all the praise about World of Goo, and refusing to pirate on the basis of it being a small indie project alone. When steam when to a 5$ price tag I didn't hesitate to pick it up, thanks for putting so much love into such a small package. If 2d Boy ever releases any more content not only will I buy it, I will hunt down any people whom pirate it and report them to whoever I need to and try and get the file pulled. While I wont stop pirating games/music/whatever I will definatly make a higher effort to purchase said music / games if I enjoy them.

P.S. As for your 99% of d/ls were pirated press release, although I'm betting many many many of those were duplicate d/ls from botnets or simply d/led for seeding purposes on bittorrent, I'm sure the real number of individual people pirating it is still staggering and I'm sorry for all your hard work being raped and pillage like so many villages.

P.S. The Music is GREAT! Gives me like a Tim Burton'y feel to the game that feels so right. :)

FYI I also never pirated old maxis games b4 they were bought out, now I just don't really d/l or buy them :/ <3

/rambling fanboyism.

Re: World of Goo 5$ on Steam Pushed Me OverTheHermit03/07/2009 - 13:55

Well that just screems pure hypocrisy to me... PARTICULALY paragraph two.

Short version would be: "I'm a pirate, but I bought this only because of the 75% off! I'll hunt down anyone who pirates this, but I'm still going to pirate other things as I'm a MAJOR hypocrite"

Re: World of Goo 5$ on Steam Pushed Me Overspazturtle03/07/2009 - 14:19

Pirating EA games is not so bad cos of DRM (i'm not RE-paying for spore)

Re: World of Goo 5$ on Steam Pushed Me OverTheHermit03/08/2009 - 05:15

[Slaps head after reading above post then switches to sarcasm mode]

Yeah! Pirating a game that has ANY form of DRM is OK...

[Sarcasm off]

If you don't like the DRM added to a game, DON'T BUY IT! If everyone did this instead of complaining afterwards then companies wouldn't dare add things like "3 installs only."

Re: World of Goo 5$ on Steam Pushed Me OverSoultaker03/08/2009 - 08:02

To be fair, game publishers aren't exactly upfront about what type of restrictions they have put in place either. I don't think as a customer you can always make a rational choice (short of steering clear of games altogether). That doesn't justify pirating games, but it does show that neither side is being completely fair. I'd love to see text like "requires disk in drive to play" or "requires additional system services to be installed" or even "needs administrator access to install" right on the game box, but in practice games with DRM often just do what they want to your system without telling the user about it. That's terrible behaviour.

Re: World of Goo 5$ on Steam Pushed Me OverTheHermit03/09/2009 - 14:19

All it takes is to read a couple of review to find out if the DRM is ridiculous, like Spore. Must admit that "Disk in Drive" is so common that it never gets mentioned anymore, but then NoCD/DVD patches tend to appear rather quickly for those games, even after official updates.

If a games comes out I'm interested in, unless it's on Steam, I'll wait AT LEAST a month to see what problems get reported, and if they get fixed. If a games has bad DRM it's usually got plenty of people complaining about it after just a few days... ;)

Re: World of Goo 5$ on Steam Pushed Me Oversfengbin03/13/2009 - 09:06

well I also buy this game on steam with 5$, it is really a good price ;D