Longest "Tower"

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Longest "Tower" Pavke03/24/2009 - 11:10

:D :D

I have build the longest "tower"  :D :D ;D ;D

I is 472.48 meters or 516.71 yards long (more then 5 football fields  :D )!!!

http://hell.student.utwente.nl/~maks/wog/profiles/f98a4d2285ed83d46847edba1b4164e5/wogc-large

A can say the WoG Corporation is realy infinite!!  ;) :D

Maybe the 300 ball limit is set because of this? hehe :D

Last modified Tue, 03/24/2009 - 11:25 by Pavke
Re: Longest "Tower" MattOG03/24/2009 - 12:44

Nice.. well done pavke

Re: Longest "Tower" Pavke03/24/2009 - 12:49

Thx!  :D

How I'm going even longer... hm.... farther.  :)  I realy think it isn't infinite (Do you know how that can be programmed? )!  :D

Re: Longest "Tower" MattOG03/24/2009 - 12:54

The dimensions of the level aren't set by the level files, but by the game itself, using the level name as a trigger.

Create a level and call it wogcd, backup the original level, replace with yours, and bang, you have an infinitely wide/high level. It uses geoms (not that there is any in the level) and goo locations (attached and unattached) to determine how wide the level should be, and adjusts accordingly. It is, in actual fact not infinite, but is governed by the amount of memory it can allocate to the width of the level. So, it may as well be infinite. A simple test would be to create a 'wheel' and keep rolling it right.

It's similar to the way it allows you to only see certain bits of some levels, based on where you are (genetic sorting machine pops into mind, you can't see the top bit until a beauty goo goes up the pipe).

Re: Longest "Tower" Pavke03/24/2009 - 13:08

[quote author=MattOG link=topic=1679.msg10980#msg10980 date=1237917279]
The dimensions of the level aren't set by the level files, but by the game itself, using the level name as a trigger.

Create a level and call it wogcd, backup the original level, replace with yours, and bang, you have an infinitely wide/high level. It uses geoms (not that there is any in the level) and goo locations (attached and unattached) to determine how wide the level should be, and adjusts accordingly. It is, in actual fact not infinite, but is governed by the amount of memory it can allocate to the width of the level. So, it may as well be infinite. A simple test would be to create a 'wheel' and keep rolling it right.

It's similar to the way it allows you to only see certain bits of some levels, based on where you are (genetic sorting machine pops into mind, you can't see the top bit until a beauty goo goes up the pipe).

Why didn't I play with WoG editor!?? Grrr >:(      :D :D

A simple test would be to create a 'wheel' and keep rolling it right.

I'm doing just that!!

Last modified Tue, 03/24/2009 - 13:32 by Pavke
Re: Longest "Tower" davidc03/24/2009 - 17:35

This is set by autobounds="true" on the <level>. Jingle Balls uses this too so you can't see up the chimney until you've climbed it.

-davidc