No Instructions?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
No Instructions?Ilfracombe03/29/2009 - 20:53

I've just bought this as part of a package, and there does not appear to be any sort of manual for even basic stuff. For example, how does one save a game? Or do I have to keep doing these three basic games before I even reach Chapter one? So far, the only way I can find to get out of where I am is to click Escape, which cycles me eventually back to a page that has a Quit field.
Are there really no instructions? I'm happy to play a game, but I don't enjoy having to spend time finding out these boring basics that could easily be revealed.
If I have to come on this forum each time I'm stumped, it's byebye world of goo.

Re: No Instructions?Zagrom03/29/2009 - 21:15

There is no manual for one reason, the game is simple to understand
and part of the game is to think, it is a puzzle game after all, I
don't meant to call you incompetent or come off as a jerk the way I
state this, but its just part of the game, and the game auto saves
so no worries there.  Just give it a go(o) and you'll find the basics
are really just that  ^^

Re: No Instructions?Ilfracombe03/29/2009 - 23:47

Thanks for your reply. You are correct in assuming that I am neither incompetent nor a jerk. I don't mind working out a game for myself, and this looks like it could be fun, but I don't enjoy having to work out how the application itself works, when it doesn't seem to work as expected.

Autosave you say? Well, not for me. Every time I start the app, I am taken right to the beginning, including having to fill in my name. I've tried command S, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.
However, to quit, I can click 'end level' in the menu, then 'back', till eventually I get to the quit button. If that isn't right, maybe it is why  it is not saving.

(Mac 10.4.11 on a G4, by the way. Lots of memory and disc space).

Re: No Instructions?Pavke03/30/2009 - 03:11

Ok Ilfracombe, start a new game, In first level there is a sign:   drag n' drop to BUILD to the PIPE To save and complete level and any other level, when you save your goos, the lever spring up, just pull the lever.

The manual you are seeking will soon be on goofans.com.. I hope...

Sorry if you got save game problems, post back!

Last modified Mon, 03/30/2009 - 04:00 by Pavke
Re: No Instructions?Zagrom03/30/2009 - 06:53

Ah sorry,
I see what your saying now,
I had a bit of a misunderstanding,

If your still having issues with
saving let us know, knowing what OS
your using would be helpful too.

Re: No Instructions?Soultaker03/30/2009 - 08:31

[quote author=Ilfracombe link=topic=1712.msg11177#msg11177 date=1238388436]
Autosave you say? Well, not for me. Every time I start the app, I am taken right to the beginning, including having to fill in my name. I've tried command S, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.
Just to make sure: were you able to complete the first level? If you did and then game didn't auto-save, then that is a bug!

Otherwise, you probably didn't get the hang of the game yet. Have look at this YouTube video to see how it's done: Going Up (you don't have to do it in three moves like the guy in the video).

Re: No Instructions?Seeker03/30/2009 - 15:13

Have you Czech Windows XP? Or some other one, that have another name for Application Data?
On that languages of system, there is a bug with no saving. Download a 1.3 patch, it will repair it ;)

Re: No Instructions?Ilfracombe03/31/2009 - 09:52

I re-installed it and it is saving now. Getting through the goo.
Another weird thing though. There appear to be no menus, but when I quit, a menu bar appears momentarily, with three menus: 'World of Goo', 'options' and 'window'. However, this menu bar is only there for a fraction of a second, and is gone before I can do anything. It only shows after I quit: never at any other time.
I'm fairly sure this is not correct behaviour. Should that options menu be available?

(Mac OS 10.4.11; G4 ibook, plenty of memory)

Re: No Instructions?Zagrom03/31/2009 - 10:12

I cant say I have ever had options available to me

?_?

Re: No Instructions?Soultaker03/31/2009 - 10:36

There is no options menu in the game.

My guess is that the Mac version creates a dummy window on top of which the OpenGL viewport is created which displays the game. When you quit the game, the OpenGL viewport is destroyed and you can get a glimpse of the underlying window just before it is closed. I'm pretty sure you can't (and aren't supposed to) use that window or its menu.

Re: No Instructions?davidc03/31/2009 - 22:52

[quote author=Ilfracombe link=topic=1712.msg11229#msg11229 date=1238511132]
Another weird thing though. There appear to be no menus, but when I quit, a menu bar appears momentarily, with three menus: 'World of Goo', 'options' and 'window'. However, this menu bar is only there for a fraction of a second, and is gone before I can do anything. It only shows after I quit: never at any other time.

That's correct. You can see this (very limited) menu by pressing option+F to change out of full-screen mode.

-davidc