do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?vonboy03/31/2009 - 19:05

because i was thinking of doing that, they're the same game really, and i really really REALLY wanna try out this fabled level editor ;D.

huh?

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?Stickybomb6703/31/2009 - 20:07

Buh.
A. The game + the level editor + the extra levels = >$35.
B. It's illegal and sufficient law enforcement (and a bunch of techies) could stop it.
C. Logic.

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?GooLover04/03/2009 - 12:44

Well unlike most pirates, you did actually pay for something. Unethical I don't know... 2D boy gets some of the cash either way. Of course it'd be even better if you bought both versions :)

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?TheHermit04/04/2009 - 04:52

Quote:
do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?

No, but since when did pirating being unethical stop anyone...? :(

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?spazturtle04/04/2009 - 07:47

[quote author=TheHermit link=topic=1719.msg11386#msg11386 date=1238838773]

Quote:

No, but since when did pirating being unethical stop anyone...? :(

I agree it is unethical but that will not stop people

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?Stickybomb6704/04/2009 - 08:46

Yeah. ::)
Pirates aren't very ethical, but they mainly just want to share free games.
I agree that there are good and bad sides for everyone, but I still wouldn't do it.

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?vonboy04/04/2009 - 12:39

if it's any condolence, i'm forcing helping somebody else get the wiiware version. after showing them the demo version at school [it actually runs of a usb flash drive quiet well] they have seen the light lol.

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?FluffyWolf204/04/2009 - 21:34

Unethical. I'm taking an ethics class actually. Reason for this is though they are a similar game, they are in fact from my knowledge not identical, if they were then being DRM Free you'd probably be okay. But because of the multiplayer functionality on Wii and none of that on PC, I cannot honestly say they are 100% the same, and thus a pirated version would be illegal.

Also pirated anything is illegal anyway.

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?swamprob04/06/2009 - 17:47

By the strict definition of the word, it's not ethical.

However, and I feel this way about all forms of media:  once you have paid for one version, you are entitled to all versions of the same thing.  Example:  I am old enough that I have huge collection of albums and cassettes.  No way in hell I am paying for another copy just to have the exact same music on a different format.  I am not uploading or distributing, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay twice for the same thing.  Who knows when yet another version might come along.

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?TheHermit04/07/2009 - 12:00

[quote author=swamprob link=topic=1719.msg11464#msg11464 date=1239058068]
By the strict definition of the word, it's not ethical.

However, and I feel this way about all forms of media:  once you have paid for one version, you are entitled to all versions of the same thing.   Example:  I am old enough that I have huge collection of albums and cassettes.  No way in hell I am paying for another copy just to have the exact same music on a different format.  I am not uploading or distributing, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay twice for the same thing.  Who knows when yet another version might come along.

Try telling any other software publisher that! :D

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?Trent Reznor04/16/2009 - 15:48

I am a firm believer in the concept of sharing freeware etc.. I would say in this instance that I would suggets buying it and supporting the makers of this game.
Trent

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?Buttersnack04/16/2009 - 19:14

Do it! Do it now!

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?houghe904/19/2009 - 22:15

this is a tough question. if you grew up in the era of real media the answer is no. you need to buy it in the format you want it. i.e. ppl bought cd's for better quality. ppl bought dvd's for the extra. now the line is a lot thinner. they want all of thier media on all devices for the same price.

it costs nothing 'now' to convert movies to a different format. not a lot of sunk cost.

it costs money to produce code in different formats. for 20.00 i think they deserve it.

pay them the money.

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?houghe904/19/2009 - 22:44

one more thing hell yeah have you heard the music???

the attention to detail is overwhelming!!!

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?houghe904/19/2009 - 23:04

it works on vista 64
it works on windows xp on a netbook

i have programs i paid 130.00 for that wont do both...

pay them...

my 2 cents.

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?TheHermit04/20/2009 - 11:26

[quote author=houghe9 link=topic=1719.msg11823#msg11823 date=1240200290]
pay them...

my 2 cents.

You only paid 2 cents for it! :o

;)

Re: do you think it's ethical to pirate the pc version after buying wiiware version?Stickybomb6704/20/2009 - 14:45

[quote author=TheHermit link=topic=1719.msg11831#msg11831 date=1240244800]
[quote author=houghe9 link=topic=1719.msg11823#msg11823 date=1240200290]
pay them...

my 2 cents.

You only paid 2 cents for it! :o

;)

It's an expression. ;)
I hope... :P