New to the game, some thoughts.

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
New to the game, some thoughts.swamprob04/06/2009 - 17:58

World of Goo is a delightful, fun game.  It's somewhat original, and the game certainly has flavor.  I would definitely recommend this to my gaming friends.

Having said that, I do think the game has some problems, at least for me.

1.  I don't like that so many of the goo balls are 'locked' into position once placed.  This means that if I place goo ball 25, and I realize my design went wrong around ball 10, I have to start from scratch.  Grrrr, not fun.

2.  Many of the puzzles don't even let me view the whole playing area until I build (or get goo balls) near it.  Let me see where I'm going so I can plan better.

3.  I really, really wish some of the screens made it more clear what you had to do.  Some of them are awfully vague.

4.  Lastly, I find some of the screens, particularly starting about midway thru chapter 3,  too hard.  I realize that saying that about a game is almost blasphemy on the internet, but once I'm on attempt #5, I'm looking it up a solution on the net.  By attempt #8, if I can't get it, I'm moving on, never to attempt that screen again.  I am never going to attempt anything in any game 20 tries to get it right.  If this happens to often, I quit and uninstall the game.

I realize that some of these points may seem harsh, and doubtless I'll get flamed for having them, but that's been my experience.  Anyway, Kudos to 2D for originality, I just find the frustration vs fun ratio a bit tilted the wrong way.

Re: New to the game, some thoughts.vonboy04/06/2009 - 18:12

well, if you didn't notice, there's a skip option at the bottom right of the restart menu. you get about 3 skips for every chapter you beat i think.

other than that, i hope i don't sound like a jerk, but this game WAS made for trial and error. your supposed to try to beat the levels in your own way. the devs don't want to just outright tell you what you have to do, they just give some hints along the way. a lot of the fun of the game is replaying levels with different strategies trying to improve your skill at the game.