Sold copies

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Sold copiesRovanion04/11/2009 - 04:41

How many copies have you sold of World of Goo in on the three different platforms you made it available for? Or what are the percentages? How well did it sell for the Linux platform?

Re: Sold copiesPavke04/11/2009 - 05:04

There are some statistic here  http://2dboy.com/public/eyawtkagibwata.pdf

Re: Sold copiesSoultaker04/11/2009 - 08:14

(Warning: pure speculation follows:)

There are some sites that report sales for WiiWare games. For example, this page reports about 150,000 WiiWare sales up to january. I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, but you could use this to extrapolate some of the other numbers in Ron's slides. But note that the slides report revenue, not sales, and I think the revenue-per-sale varies a lot by distribution method; I could imagine 2D Boy makes at least twice as much money from a sale on their own website than from a sale through WiiWare.

Re: Sold copiesRovanion04/14/2009 - 17:33

Oh according to that PDF file 10% of his revenue came from Linux copies.
That is quite awesome!

Re: Sold copiesmocoso04/14/2009 - 18:13

I am in Europe and recently bought World of Goo as WiiWare. I can't comment about sales volume or market trends, but I can extrapolate from my experience.

My purchase was based upon the description of the game on the Wii shopping channel - which did not prepare me for what I bought. I had never heard of World of Goo before. There, I am told that the object of the game is to "build structures" including "zeppelins and giant tongues." Nothing is said about the real purpose of the game: to conduct as many Goo balls into the pipe (in as few moves) as possible. I had no notion at all that anything like a puzzle was involved.

My original intention was to find a Wii application suitiable for the whole family. It was the non-competitive language ("everyone is a winner") and the sardonic humor ("World of Goo Corporation is contractually obligated to say that") that sold me.

But it is the game's addictive appeal (I am a first-generation Lemmings veteran) that kept me playing.

There is a gap between what I expected and what I actually got. But the difference was in my favor. I wonder if the sales drop since January, noted in the Nintendo Raw article, might be explained (in part) by this.

Re: Sold copiesvonboy04/15/2009 - 06:02

i don't really know many sales it's gotten, but i do know it's one of the best selling wiiware games

it's been near the top of the sales charts [look in the wii shop channel, then goto wiiware, then popular titles]. as far as i know, it's never fallen lower down than 4th place. it's in first place right now.