Music in WoG

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Music in WoGtair00108/18/2008 - 16:28

Can I just say, as a fellow musician, that I'm blown away by the quality of Kyle's music scoring and recording - I've just been browsing over his old site at kylegabler.com because I found his soundtrack to 'Best of Times' was actually used in the second WoG trailer, but some of the other stuff on there is amazing! I noticed also that the 'Jelly' track is the one used on the 'Flying Machine' level.

I'd be fascinated to learn more about where, with who, and when he does his recordings...

(...by the way Kyle, I've got a performance diploma in violin, so if you ever need a solo string sample I'd love to be able to play for you  :D)

Re: Music in WoGNic Freed08/18/2008 - 16:36

ya,id have to say i love his music choices, and want to know if the music from the original tower of goo will be on the full world of goo. i forgot what that song is called, i heard on some radio station once, sounds like its from france :)

Re: Music in WoGtair00108/18/2008 - 19:31

Kyle, I was just browsing an earlier thread and you said you used computer instruments to generate most of the WoG soundtrack - can I ask which software you used to do this? I've been using Sibelius for most of my own composition work but it doesn't provide anywhere near the realism of sounds that you have in your tracks...

Re: Music in WoGkyle08/19/2008 - 02:39

Thanks! No, the music I had used for the original towerofgoo prototype won't be used in the game, since I don't have the rights to it. If you're curious though, the song was by Astor Piazzolla, called "Libertango".

Re: Music in WoGNic Freed08/19/2008 - 07:56

i thought i had heard it on the "world music" channel, which my dad makes me listen to sometimes, but as soon as i heard it, i was like "thats tower of goo!" :)

too bad you dont have the rights to it tho...

Re: Music in WoGtair00108/19/2008 - 09:07

Surely if you just did your own arrangement of the piece then you can count it as your own work? Last time I checked copyright infringement didn't include personal interpretations of a piece of music...

Do you still use CakeWalk?

Re: Music in WoGNic Freed08/19/2008 - 10:43

i know, you could give that song some kinda wahwah effect, the worlds first french wahwah :) than it would be your own song. wah wah makes everything better

Re: Music in WoGBallisticsfood08/20/2008 - 07:38

[quote author=Nic Freed link=topic=177.msg1405#msg1405 date=1219160600]
i know, you could give that song some kinda wahwah effect, the worlds first french wahwah :) than it would be your own song. wah wah makes everything better

Except babies.

Re: Music in WoGNic Freed08/20/2008 - 09:35

[quote author=Ballisticsfood link=topic=177.msg1413#msg1413 date=1219235893]
[quote author=Nic Freed link=topic=177.msg1405#msg1405 date=1219160600]

Except babies.

haha :)