Regarding Linux Releases

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Regarding Linux ReleasesHideous08/28/2008 - 00:54

What you should do for Ubuntu, and other debians, is to distribute the game in a .deb package. .deb's work as installers in the world of debian. If you don't want that, check out Loki, which is a Linux installer made especially for games.

Hopefully this helped you a bit? :D

Re: Regarding Linux ReleasesKasreyn10/28/2008 - 03:38

Hello! I'm also waiting for the linux version of this. I use debian, yes it would be nice to have it packaged for debian but realisticly, I think it's throwing a lot of extra work at the hands of the developers.

Lowering the ambition quite a bit, I would prefer a simple tar that places the files locally within a directory. Packages that tries to make install is a major dislike, system directories are made dirty, uninstallscripts seldom work, linux must not try to be windows.

About the linux release, it says on the blog that if I buy World of Goo for windows today I can download the linux version? How is this going to work? Is it the same activation code for both versions?

Re: Regarding Linux ReleasesSoultaker10/28/2008 - 07:28

Why not release a gzipped tar file and let the user sort things out? Once you start with these binary packages, you have to create at least half a dozen of them to satisfy the users of all different platforms, and even then the game cannot be installed easily by a unprivileged user.

(For comparison, HotHead Games released OTRSPOD as a tarball on Greenhouse too)

Re: Regarding Linux ReleasesRazZziel11/01/2008 - 11:08

To target theese release problems, we're developing klik (http://klik.atekon.de/klik2/), more or less a package format that works like .dmg's on Mac: 1 application = 1 file, and you don't need to install it, just one single click and you're playing. One of the main targets in the development of klik was to make Linux games distribution much easier and pleasant to the user.

Klik is still under heavy development, and while it already works quite nicely (you can play openarena, or most FOSS games without any problem, for example), the development is right now a bit stalled and there's still some work left to make klik usable by the average Joe.

However if somewhere in the near future 2d boy wants to consider klik as a distribution method, I'm here to help :)

Re: Regarding Linux ReleasesXerxesQados11/02/2008 - 14:35

[quote author=Kasreyn link=topic=185.msg4540#msg4540 date=1225183133]
Is it the same activation code for both versions?

Yes, both versions have the same 0 character, non-existant activation code.

Re: Regarding Linux Releasesalejo11/03/2008 - 22:39

Welll

I bought the game ande use it under wine.. so far all works!!! it is great!!!