don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...vonboy06/18/2009 - 23:19

i don't know if i can post here or not, but this was general discussion, so mind as well plunk it here

i was a senior at highschool that past year, and i had to do a senior project. it could be anything you wanted within reason, but it had to be considered challenging (aka, take at least 15 hours to do). i was ecstatic when my teacher let me make a computer game for my senior project. i had made some little games before in game maker, but none of them were that good or original. before i started this project, i had actually played the world of goo demo, so it kinda inspired me in a way.

so, on November 20th, i started on my little game. my original idea was for it to be similar to mini-putt golf. except, the ball was on a sort of launcher, and you had to pull the ball and and release it. there was gravity, the balls bounced off the walls and eachother (you can shoot as many times as you want, but you won't get a good score:b)

i then worked on it some more, adding some other objects and obstacles, such as fans, blackholes, buttons that changes the direction of gravity, and even a wrecking ball you can control yourself to destroy walls!.

anyway, after 7 months of on and off work, i finally finished it,m submitted it to my teacher, and did the presentation.

now you can give it a try if you want to. http://files.filefront.com/slingballexe/;13770246;/fileinfo.html (about 2.7mb)

i tried as hard as i could to polish it, but the physics are still not quite right, and there's a game breaking bug on level 25 (yes, you will slam your head against the wall on that level lol), but i still think it turned out being a decent game, and i hope you guys find some enjoyment out of it.

have fun with it, and tell me what you think :)

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...jmleleven06/19/2009 - 09:04

three things:
1. Great Game!
2. But, the mouse is hard to control.
3. And, i cant get past level 7. CURSE YOU, LEVEL 7!!!

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...Soultaker06/19/2009 - 15:00

Very nice game! It could be polished a little better, but the basic game already works well enough.

Especially for a high school project this is pretty impressive. I don't think I had built anything half as cool when I was in high school. I hope you got a good grade on it. :)

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...davidc06/19/2009 - 18:38

Enormous fun, great work! Only problem is I can't get past level 25 as a blue ball always gets trapped in the hole shown in the screenshot: seems to be a bug?

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...jmleleven06/20/2009 - 10:08

[quote author=davidc link=topic=1929.msg13139#msg13139 date=1245454726]
Enormous fun, great work! Only problem is I can't get past level 25 as a blue ball always gets trapped in the hole shown in the screenshot: seems to be a bug?

[quote author=vonboy link=topic=1929.msg13110#msg13110 date=1245385156]
...and there's a game breaking bug on level 25 (yes, you will slam your head against the wall on that level lol),...

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...spyguy3179606/20/2009 - 11:44

Cool game I am on lvl 12 and I have par on all levels.I am surprised though that your teacher would allow this mainly for the simple reason you used a drag and drop game creator. Either way great game must have taken some real effort. P.s. I love game maker!!!

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...vonboy06/20/2009 - 14:15

i love game maker too. you can't do too much complicated stuff with it, but it's extremely easy to learn and use, and it's great for fun little projects like this. i thinks it's a great way to get people started on making games.

anyway, i'm not exactly planning on working on this game anymore. i'm more interested in trying something new. i might try to do something about that annoying bug, though, just so ya'll can see the last 5 levels.

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...davidc06/20/2009 - 19:41

[quote author=jmleleven link=topic=1929.msg13146#msg13146 date=1245510517]
[quote author=davidc link=topic=1929.msg13139#msg13139 date=1245454726]

[quote author=vonboy link=topic=1929.msg13110#msg13110 date=1245385156]
...and there's a game breaking bug on level 25 (yes, you will slam your head against the wall on that level lol),...

D'oh. I edited the save file to skip this level anyway and quickly reached the end (the % shown during the game isn't accurate). Had fun trying to beat the credits level, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get all the blocks!

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...vonboy06/21/2009 - 09:36

great, glad you liked it. i tried to make the credits roll fun and unique, instead of generic.

and also, the percent completion doesn't just count if you finished the level. that only gives you half the completion score. you have to get par on the level to get the other half, so you have to get par on every level to get 100% completion :P

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...vonboy09/09/2009 - 17:44

just bumping to see if anyone else is interested.

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...DanTheGenius09/10/2009 - 22:30

This is great! I'd love to see the source... I've only done a little programming in C# and VB.net... it'd be cool to look at something a little more complex, but I'd understand if you didn't want to show anyone  ;)

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...Nic Freed09/11/2009 - 06:18

Dan, this was made with game-maker, little to no coding was involved  ::)

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...vonboy09/11/2009 - 12:41

actually, i did a lot of coding, but it was with game makers own easy peasy language that looks more like javascript really.

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...davidc09/13/2009 - 17:57

Regardless of how it was done, I loved the concept and haven't seen anything as well developed along these lines before. I think it could have some potential with a graphics makeover, though I would have concerns about how far you can go with the gameplay. Good fun anyway. Is there a fixed version yet so I can OCD it and get 100%? :-)

-davidc

Re: don't know, if i can post this here, but i made a game...vonboy09/14/2009 - 13:16

no, i actually never got around to it, but i could probably get that fixed pretty quick. i think it's just i forgot to make the ball change its mask when you break or move the launcher, so it has that big fat collision mask of the launcher itself >.<

also, just the fact somebody wants to play this enough to get 100% makes me all warm and fuzzy inside ;D.

Last modified Mon, 09/14/2009 - 13:23 by vonboy