Interview :D

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Interview :DChris Evans06/23/2009 - 05:46

Wahoo just published my little interview with Ron and Kyle on The Reticule, interesting stuff if I say so myself :)

http://thereticule.com/2009/06/a-quick-chat-with-the-2d-boys/

Re: Interview :DTheWampaKing06/23/2009 - 07:13

Oooh, nice interview.

Re: Interview :DPavke06/23/2009 - 07:19

Yes, really nice. :)

Quote:
Sometimes players can squish balls past the giant red robot head in that one level to rescue almost everyone in the level. Some levels allow clever players to win with zero moves, using sneaky ball-flinging tricks. But I think I like that unusual things happen here and there. We are not a big shiny game studio with dozens of layers of QA. Players seem to enjoy discovering tricks, and hopefully the slightly rough edges show that our game was duct taped together with love.

Really like that!! :D

Re: Interview :DthB06/23/2009 - 12:43

Kinda reminds me of the strafe/circle jump bug from Quake, that became a feature later in Q2 and Q3 or straferunning in Doom.
Without little inconsistencies like these a highly competitive or even "pro" style of playing wouldn't even be possible in many games, so they can be good things! They tie players to the game and create competition which is essential for a strong community.
No need to talk about rough edges. :)

Last modified Tue, 06/23/2009 - 12:52 by thB
Re: Interview :DDEFE06/23/2009 - 16:30

Thanks for posting the interview, Chris! Much appreciated. I'm glad 2DBoy had plenty of success with World of Goo. They earned it with such a great game. Haha, and I'm with Pavke and thB on the game's "bugs." They've just given the game more replayability for guys like me. It's fun to mess around with those little tricks.

Re: Interview :Dvonboy06/24/2009 - 08:45

interesting read, thats for posting!

so, it sounds like kyle and ron arent't really working on any new retail games, but more prototyping till something else lights a fire in peoples hearts. i'm fine with that. they messed around in their first round of this till they realized people liked that little tower of goo prototype a whole lot and thought they could actually make something out of it, and they were right.

it does suck though that we probably won't see anything from them (other then millions of quirky prototypes lol) for a couple years at least.