I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...freibooter10/20/2009 - 03:04

I really liked World of Goo but 2D Boy disappointed me to no end. Thinking about it, I probably overpaid, I should have chosen $0.00 dollars.

And despite all this, I think I do have the right to complain since I already paid for World of Goo before, on Steam, because it had achievements and since I had most of my games on Steam.
Well, I have never seen any lazier achievements on Steam, but that was the least of my problems ...

... 2D boy decided that it would be a great idea to only support the customers that bought the game directly through their site. Important patches that fixed at least some of the annoying bugs and limitations were massively delayed or never released on Steam. And while their special direct customers received free Linux and Mac versions everyone else (that paid the same price) got screwed by not even getting updates to fix the Windows version.

As I customer I felt betrayed and cheated on multiple levels but since I just read the "FAQ" on this forum I feel a little bit better knowing that 2d boy also let down their most eager and trusting customers (or was the promised profanity pack ever released?) ...

I normally buy indie games because their creators are committed to their products and to excellent customer service. 2d boy is acting worse than some of the big publishers or dev-studios ...

Re: I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...GMMan10/21/2009 - 22:05

If you want bug fixes, you can always download the patch. Although you won't get Steam achievements, you can switch back and forth (just update using the patch, and then get some OCDs, and then validate through Steam and launch to update achievements). Bonus: you won't need Steam to play (I find it to be a RAM hogger).

Small third party Steam games seems not to get updated. TellTale Games' products doesn't ever seem to get updated. I'm not sure who's fault it really is (I blame Valve because I don't like Steam all that much). If it is 2D Boy, they should pick up their act; if it's Valve, then just blast them.

Re: I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...!10/22/2009 - 13:56

[quote author=freibooter link=topic=2128.msg14748#msg14748 date=1256025846]
As I customer I felt betrayed and cheated on multiple levels but since I just read the "FAQ" on this forum I feel a little bit better knowing that 2d boy also let down their most eager and trusting customers (or was the promised profanity pack ever released?) ...

I normally buy indie games because their creators are committed to their products and to excellent customer service. 2d boy is acting worse than some of the big publishers or dev-studios ...

Calling them 'worse than big publishers or dev-studios' is not gonna fly. >:( If you come in with a bad attitude, I'm legally obliged to kill you  emotionally. So sorry, but it's in my instruction manual.  ::)

Re: I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...Nic Freed10/22/2009 - 15:49

[quote author=! link=topic=2128.msg14801#msg14801 date=1256237816]
I'm legally obliged to kill you  emotionally.

And most likely physically as well, if I know him at all :D

Re: I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...kieranmullen10/22/2009 - 18:15

So you are blaming the the company since they are selling direct to bypass the Steam issues that they can not control?  Sounds like a smart idea...

Also that .10 you paid cost them more than .30 to collect in paypal fees.

Good job winner!  ???  :-X

[quote author=freibooter link=topic=2128.msg14748#msg14748 date=1256025846]
I really liked World of Goo but 2D Boy disappointed me to no end. Thinking about it, I probably overpaid, I should have chosen $0.00 dollars.

And despite all this, I think I do have the right to complain since I already paid for World of Goo before, on Steam, because it had achievements and since I had most of my games on Steam.
Well, I have never seen any lazier achievements on Steam, but that was the least of my problems ...

... 2D boy decided that it would be a great idea to only support the customers that bought the game directly through their site. Important patches that fixed at least some of the annoying bugs and limitations were massively delayed or never released on Steam. And while their special direct customers received free Linux and Mac versions everyone else (that paid the same price) got screwed by not even getting updates to fix the Windows version.

Last modified Thu, 10/22/2009 - 19:16 by kieranmullen
Re: I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...!10/22/2009 - 19:04

Quoting these last two posts would likely take up too much room, but I'll just say that I wholeheartedly agree. :D
Kieran, you may want to add some smileys to signify that you're being sarcastic; Just a tip!

Re: I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...Vadi10/24/2009 - 08:23

That's why you don't use Steam. Should know by now how many troubles developers have with it.

Re: I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...TheWampaKing10/24/2009 - 22:50

*kills booter*

Re: I paid $0.10 during the birthday sale and I'm not ashamed, this is why ...!10/25/2009 - 09:14

[quote author=TheWampaKing link=topic=2128.msg14897#msg14897 date=1256442638]
*kills booter*

THAT WAS MY N00B!

[quote author=Nic Freed link=topic=2128.msg14807#msg14807 date=1256244580]
[quote author=! link=topic=2128.msg14801#msg14801 date=1256237816]
I'm legally obliged to kill you  emotionally.

And most likely physically as well, if I know him at all :D