Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31kieranmullen10/22/2009 - 19:20

I paid more than the average, but I hope 2dday will refund the transactions less than .31 so they do not end up losing money.

Does anyone know if they will? I think they should...

I partly (10%) blame the paypal for this.  They only have a set amount mode or a enter your own amount mode. Obviously this is not set up for the sellers best interests in mind.

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31!10/22/2009 - 22:24

In this case, there wouldn't really be a right thing to do, much less a way to do it.

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31kieranmullen10/22/2009 - 22:49

I do not know what you are talking about, but all transactiosn on paypal are refundable. Just get the details of the transaction and click on the refund link and it will ask you how much you want to refund and then confirm.

The question is if paypal can do a mass refund?  It would save them 5k so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31spazturtle10/23/2009 - 03:22

2D Boy lost nothing, paypal pick up the costs if the transaction is less than 0.31 USD

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31kieranmullen10/23/2009 - 10:39

There does it say this on the paypal website?

Reference needed please.

I emailed paypal and I asked if I would be charged a transaction fee for 100 transaction of .01 each and they said yes.  This concurs with informaiton on their website as well.

Last modified Fri, 10/23/2009 - 15:42 by kieranmullen
Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31Soultaker10/23/2009 - 17:18

The Paypal site doesn't say it, but Ron mentioned in this post:

Quote:
The average price paid for the game was $2.03 a significant percent of which went to PayPal for transaction fees.  Normally, they keep about 5% of the revenue, but because PayPal fees are structured in a way that they take a larger percentage for smaller transactions, we ended up paying over 13% in transaction fees.  For all purchases of around 30 cents and under, we actually saw no money, PayPal took it all, but they probably ended up losing money on most of those transactions ($0.01) as well, they’re not the bad guy.

If you don't believe him, you can also do the math yourself, since both the sales figures and Paypal's rates are public, and you'll see that if they had to pay 30¢ for each 1¢ transaction, the transaction fees would be around 18% of the revenue, not 13%.

I think that for future sales of this type it makes more sense to set a minimum price of $1 or so. Processing an order for 1¢ is just a waste of time for anyone involved; if you're not even willing to pay $1 for a game, just get it off a torrent site already, would ya?

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31kieranmullen10/23/2009 - 17:22

I would trust the ebay website combined with phone call and email (I had asked them before since I have seen this done somewhere else) rather than math figures.

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31citricsquid10/23/2009 - 18:00

Paypal have a base fee of around 3.1% (depending on the account type) then on top of that they have a flat rate fee but this only accounts for transactions of the base rate+. If this weren't the case, I could send a company 100 $0.01s and force them to lose money, because then they'd owe $0.30 (or whatever the fee is right now) x 100. Does this not seem a bit off to you?

2dboy lose nothing by accepting $0.01 transactions and whoever told you different is wrong. I've tried it before by sending myself $0.01 as both a gift and a payment from another account and both times nothing has happened.

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=2146.msg14857#msg14857 date=1256336331]
I think that for future sales of this type it makes more sense to set a minimum price of $1 or so. Processing an order for 1¢ is just a waste of time for anyone involved; if you're not even willing to pay $1 for a game, just get it off a torrent site already, would ya?

Then it isn't pay what you want, bro. I'm sure part of this was an experiment to see how it works for 2dboy, if 16,000 people want to pay $0.01 then they know that's 16,000 people who would most likely torrent, get it?

To clarify:

2dboy loses nothing on $0.01 transactions.

Last modified Fri, 10/23/2009 - 18:02 by citricsquid
Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31kieranmullen10/23/2009 - 18:10

To further clarify 16,000 .01 transactions cost 2dboy * .31 in fees from paypal as confirmed via telephone from a paypal representative $4960

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31citricsquid10/23/2009 - 18:15

[quote author=kieranmullen link=topic=2146.msg14860#msg14860 date=1256339430]
To further clarify 16,000 .01 transactions cost 2dboy * .31 in fees from paypal as confirmed via telephone from a paypal representative $4960

No it doesn't, Paypal wouldn't tell you such information on the phone. Login to your paypal account and send (my paypal) $0.01 and I'll post a screenshot proving it costs me nothing, I can send you the $0.01 if you like.

If such a system existed, don't you think it'd be abused? You know, fill an account with $50 and write a bot to send $0.01 to the same company xxxxxx times.

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31GMMan10/24/2009 - 13:54

@kieranmullen: Check this: http://www.rolbe.com/paypal.htm

It appears that the fees are based on a subtract model, not an add model. Fees are subtracted from the payment, not charged separately.

I don't know why you're so persistent about this. Do you really care for 2D Boy, or are you so cheap that you want you few cents back? If it really costed 2D Boy, then they would complain about it on their blog and take down the donation page. Instead, they seem perfectly happy and they didn't say anything at all about getting excessively service charged.

@citricsquid: I'll take on your challenge. I'll send the $0.01 soon.

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31citricsquid10/24/2009 - 14:54

So, here we have some proof! WONDERFUL PROOF. JUICY JUICY PROOF.

First here is a screenshot of my account, before this I had $0.00 in my paypal account. As you can see my total balance increase by exactly $0.01.

Here you can see the transaction information, note "Fee amount: $0.00"

and that concludes another episode of "proof is fun" with citricsquid and GMMan, that was fun.

Re: Should 2dboy refund all transactions which make them lose money? .31citricsquid10/24/2009 - 17:07

It turns out the payment type does matter, however it still doesn't take anything from my account, but the purchase total == the total fees, so I get nothing.