Wine Love Until Linux Release?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Wine Love Until Linux Release?mankyd10/06/2008 - 16:00

I'm uber-excited that the team was able to get the release out the door. Awesome work!

I am curious if anyone has tested this release under Wine. Last I checked the preview didn't work but appeared to be close. I'm really itching for the final Linux release but if the game runs under Wine, it would satiate me in the mean time. Anyone tried it?

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?RichiH10/07/2008 - 03:35

It works, but your screen resolution & text size will be screwed up after exiting.

Use

xrandr -s 1024x860

or whatever resolution you had before to reset the resolution. Fonts will be weird until you log out & in again.

I did not submit any scores (duh), so I am not sure if network works. That was the point where the Beta failed, with Wine.

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?mankyd10/07/2008 - 09:13

Hmm. It still has the same problems as before for me. I can get around the resolution issue by running in a virtual desktop (i.e. make it windowed.)

When I launch it however, it just flashes rapidly with only partially rendered images (looks like its torn.) Maybe I need to tweak a setting?

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?Mashandar10/07/2008 - 09:14

what video card do you have? intel? ati? nvidia?

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?mankyd10/07/2008 - 10:16

nvidia 6600GT with Ubuntu 8.04. I should be using the latest version of wine available from wine's repositories along with the latest nvidia driver available from the main repositories.

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?mckurky10/07/2008 - 17:54

I can't get past the first level, as the plunger-to-be-pulled is off the screen.  :(  The game is also rendered as a small portion of the actual screen, occupying the bottom left quarter of my screen.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, up-to-date with nvidia proprietary drivers (169.12) and wine (1.0.0)

I'm very much looking forward to the linux release.  I would not have bought it if Linux wasn't a supported platform.

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?Goo_of_Purest_Evil10/07/2008 - 23:02

Works pretty good on my laptop with an old ATI card. Screen res doesn't go back on quit, and WOG corp hangs the system, but other than that it plays perfect.

When I think about the upcoming native linux release though, I get all...mmmm...ahhh.... Is it just me, or is it HOT in here?

What can I say? We *love* you, 2dboy! Now we long for some Linux Love satisfaction. Do we have a date yet?

PS Kudo's for managing to avoid drm. This plus a native Linux release and I promise I'll be promoting WOG to any website that will listen. Go Goo!

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?torusturtle10/08/2008 - 01:25

I use CrossOver with a WindowsXP bottle and World of Goo Works perfect.
Music and graphic is flawless.

Playing on a MacBook with Intel GMX X3100

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?nickh10/08/2008 - 06:33

Install on Wine worked fine for me on Ubuntu. I have dual monitors configured with nVidia TwinView, and on launch you could see it rendering on the first screen but stretched such that it would fit both screens, so you could only see half the action. Hopefully 2DBoy will test out configs like this for the Linux release, and get it to go on one screen if possible; it's a common problem for fullscreen stuff.

Alt+tab to windowed mode though, and it works great. When I ran it again, it loaded in windowed mode but with a lot of flickering; alt+tabbing in and out of fullscreen fixed this.

World of Goo Corporation also seems to work fine; it shows other player's clouds and my ranking so networking also seems fine.

If you only have one screen you shouldn't have any problems at all, but Alt+tabbing a couple of times seems to fix the flickering if you get it.

Now to play the game! :D

Last modified Wed, 10/08/2008 - 06:36 by nickh
Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?the-wOndErEr5710/09/2008 - 06:14

Hi, WoG runs fine in my Linux desktop PC, even in full screen mode, runs as well as in Windows.

My machine:
amd64 x2 6000+
nvidia 9500gt
4gb RAM
Suse 11.0
wine 1.0

Fantastic game, and I reiterate what others are saying - take the game slowly !

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?mckurky10/12/2008 - 19:46

The key to make it work for me was to configure wine to not allow full screen, but to emulate a desktop (I set mine to 1280x800, but it seems to ignore it.)

Still, I'm waiting for the linux client, as I'd like to be able to play full screen!

I'm looking forward to the linux beta test!

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?pneuman10/13/2008 - 21:38

Just thought I'd post to say that it works fine under Wine for me on two systems: my desktop PC, with an 8800GT, and my first-generation MacBook Pro, with a Mobility Radeon X1600. Both are running Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit, using the standard Ubuntu NVIDIA and ATI driver packages, and using the standard Ubuntu Wine 1.0 package. Both systems exhibit the screen resizing problem on exit (I just use xrandr to adjust it back after I quit), but apart from that, it runs like a charm.

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?mccord10/14/2008 - 11:38

[quote author=mankyd link=topic=217.msg1921#msg1921 date=1223388832]
Hmm. It still has the same problems as before for me. I can get around the resolution issue by running in a virtual desktop (i.e. make it windowed.)

When I launch it however, it just flashes rapidly with only partially rendered images (looks like its torn.) Maybe I need to tweak a setting?

hi, i had the same problem with a similar hardware config (geforce 6600gt: driver 169.12 , ubuntu 8.04, wine 1.1.5)
'fixed' it by changing DirectDrawRenderer in the registry (regedit) from 'opengl' to 'gdi'!
the key is located under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D
it's probably a good idea to use a seperate wineprefix for world of goo, as to not interfere with other applications when you change the registrysettings ;)

Re: Wine Love Until Linux Release?pingnak11/03/2008 - 22:46

I have Ubuntu 8.04 with NVidia GPU, and dual 1920x1200 displays.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GT (rev a1)

It loads & runs OK, and I finished all the game levels.  Loads of fun!

There was a flickery bright bar at the top of either monitor it ran on.  Don't know whose fault that was.  Game, Wine, Driver, etc.

The big problem is whenever the mouse hits the edge of the screen where the other monitor is (or I mouse out), the sound cuts and anything I happened to have been dragging gets 'launched' at very high speed.  Tinkering with the WINE settings to allow DirectX to 'capture the mouse' only seems to make matters worse.

This happens a lot when things are 'going wrong' and I'm rushing to pan back and forth to pick up goo and get the structure balanced, which of course makes things extra-frustrating at those points in the game where you need to pan and do time-critical things at the same time.

It would probably work fine if I shut off the 'other' monitor and restarted X, but the 'other' monitor is the BIG one, and the 17" primary notebook display, while generous, doesn't match the 25.5" display for fun & games.