Thank you for not using DRM in WOG

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Thank you for not using DRM in WOGhohlermann10/07/2008 - 15:42

Dear 2D Boy,

My heart swelled with joy when I received the following:

Quote:
We are trying an experiment: World of Goo has absolutely no copy protection or DRM at all, since we want to give you (and everyone) the best experience we can. Thanks for not distributing this, and helping us make this possible!

As both a paying consumer and a privacy advocate, I appreciate the trust and the honesty.  DRM treats the consumer as an attacker and does its best to hamper fair use and impair usability.  I cannot think of a single commercially released game that has not been pirated, regardless of the DRM or content restrictions placed on it; when there's a will, there's a way.  By eliminating the need for additional code complexity (which potentially hampers development and maintenance) or third-party licensing, you've taken steps to reduce overhead in a number of areas.  Combining the high-quality content, the low cost of the game, and accessibility creates the perfect storm needed for an independent developing house such as yours to stand out and succeed.

I pre-ordered this game based on the previews and recommendations of others.  I will be purchasing another copy for a friend instead of just recommending it because of your DRM policy.

Thank you.

Best regards,
HohlerMann

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGHexagonalBolts10/07/2008 - 16:06

I agree totally

Thankyou for appreciating that regardless of what DRM is installed on a product it *will* be pirated, in fact possibley more so due to the irritating constraints of the legal versions and that therefore there is no point on mistreating your loyal consumers.

I read somewhere that Spore became for a period of time the most pirated game ever (for the downloads an hour or something strange like that).

The whole issue of piracy vs. DRM will always be an irritation to someone with the current techniques used.

Good luck, 2D-Boy with your trust in your consumers.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGflexer10/07/2008 - 17:34

I just have to agree. It's not that I don't want 2D Boy to get all they can from they can (i've got 2 pre-orders on me), but it might have an opposite effect.. With so many people knowing the game, it might encourage people to actually pay for it, because it really deserves it!!!

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGDil99910/07/2008 - 19:46

I've been checking piratebay and demonoid every day to make sure no torrents have popped up- I love this game too much.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGKordesh10/07/2008 - 21:24

I would also like to join everyone else in thanking you for taking the path less traveled by not including DRM with your game. I personally don't see it as a risk, because the sense of security that DRM provides is a false one, used to make ignorant stockholders and publishers happy that their investment is secure, but being an independent company, I guess you get to make logical decisions. It is however nice that you shrugged off said false sense of security to make sure those who do support you get the best and least impeded experience possible.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGPTTG10/08/2008 - 12:46

Same here. I am deeply impressed by your decision- I nearly bit somebody who said they where going to try to pirate Wog.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGT3rminator10/08/2008 - 18:33

Yea DRM Spoiled Spore , thanks for not using it

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGxepherys10/14/2008 - 10:30

I actually found out about WoG just recently while reading an article that praised it for lack of DRM.  That was enough to hook me into looking deeper.  Not only did I buy a copy, I bought a separate copy for my son.  I'm also doing what I can to get the word out about woG.  It's DRM-free AND a great game!  w00t!

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGonlinetimc10/14/2008 - 13:13

For me the position on DRM convinced me to buy without delay.  It shows a good attitude towards customers and I for one felt I could buy with confidence that I would be treated fairly as a customer.  I wouldn't have brought if DRM was included.

Please continue to fight piracy with fair pricing and customer respect!

The only annoying thing is the release date for the UK Wii version, but I expect that is Nitendo's choice not yours (minimising risk etc) but since it is WiiWare surely this risk is very small (minimal marketing cost only).

Look forward to your future work, top stuff!

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGlukipuk10/15/2008 - 07:09

A very good decision indeed it was! As there is not such DRM which cannot be cracked, it just brings troubles to developers and customers...

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGThermal Ions10/15/2008 - 12:04

Well put HohlerMann.

I've been bitten before purchasing via digital download and then finding 6 months down the track I could no longer re-install & play my game as the online activation process had been changed. Support were very efficient in ignoring my repeated email attempts to resolve the matter.

As a rule, I now only buy physical discs and refuse to buy a game if I have to activate it online to play single player or lan. Steam has been my only exception to this, and I've only bought 3 games there.

The absence of DRM on WoG meant that I was extremely comfortable purchasing straight from 2DBoy.com and felt even better in supporting a couple of developers who have treated their customers with respect.

I've been spreading the word amongst friends, and was thrilled to see the demo come out that I can hand around.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGCazzie10/15/2008 - 19:16

Thank you for not adding pointless copy protection to world of goo and also providing a playable demo.
This is the first game I've bought without a hard copy.

On a simmilar note, please check out the Gamers Bill of Rights.

My opinion on piracy...
Games companies seem to believe that if a billion people download their game illegally that means;
1.  Those people would have otherwise bought the game.
2.  Have not and will not buy the game.
3.  Have not already bought or pre-ordered the game.
Firms produce lovely pie charts with these outrageous figures to persuade and scare companies into thinking that they will save them millions of $$$$$$.
The reality is that customers have to pay extra for 'their protection' but more often than not, these systems complicate people's ability to play and even run the game they buy.

Game communities have spoken out loudly about the choices they feel are contributing to piracy.
1. Price. Not only in relation to the quality of the product but also the varying price in different countries.
(Random example is the upcoming Call of Duty: World at War on PS3. $59.99 in the US and $68.78 here in the UK. Both from Amazon and both in English.)
2. Different release dates or no release in your country.
(My example of CoD5 is released on the 11th Nov in the US but the 14th here.)
3. Reputation. If the company's last 5 games were buggy, crashed and needed obvious patches on release... and when a patch is released months later... people will often find themselves let down, think 'what's the point' and probably not want to pay for the 6th time to be let down with the same problems.

I'll be honest and say that I do pirate but that I still buy as many games as I ever did. Just like I bought many CDs when I copied music off the radio and I still goto the cinema even though I watch films on tv.
My point is that its OUR choice if we want to credit people. If I hear some lovely music being played in the street or if I am treated well at a restaraunt then I will tip them accordingly - treat me like an idiot with no respect and I will treat them accordingly.
You wouldn't accept a new car with twitchy electrics, scratches on the side and the replacement tires being sent a month later - but apparently its ok for games?

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGMartoon10/16/2008 - 00:15

Just wanted to add my thanks and kudos for this, as well.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGKral10/16/2008 - 06:09

I actually came here to check if it had DRM on it before buying, and am bothering to register to tell you that.  Good to see you're not screwing over actual paying customers in attempt to stop piracy that never stops piracy.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGGuanfei10/16/2008 - 16:24

I agree with everyone here.
Major gaming companies treat us like pirates, who download illegally their games.
DRM and all those stuffs don't prevent people from hacking a game, and they penalize honest gamers.
You trust us, you didn't put any DRM in you game, and now, i'm the happy owner of a nice game :)
Thanks, again and again, for trusting us.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGGooblemook10/16/2008 - 16:43

If you look on piratebay you'll find there's about 500 people seeding this. That sounds pretty depressing, but if you read the comments you'll see quite a few people either encouraging others to pay for it or saying they downloaded it and enjoyed it so much they paid for it anyway, which is pretty cool.

I really respect the devs for choosing not to use any DRM, and I hope this helps to convince the bigger publishers to re-think their views on copy-protection and stop treating their customers like criminals.

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGZenith10/16/2008 - 16:43

Hello all

Just like to say that I applaud the stance and the risk that 2D boy have taken with regards to the lack of anti piracy measures and that if they keep producing games as good as this one and sell them at the same very reasonable price then they'll have me as a loyal customer for all time.

Cant wait for World of Goo 2

keep up the good work

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGamoebaboy10/17/2008 - 14:36

hihihi there....

i had to look twice at your note... no DRM  ;D

thankyou guys and i hereby promise:

i will never ever give this game to anybody.
cross my heart and hope to die....

you deserve the money, cause you made a mindbending and hillariously funny game.

greetings from northern germany..

amoebaboy

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGalejo10/17/2008 - 16:22

I wanted to say

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS!!!

DRM free games are the best.

When i see a company that try to make my life easier, I am pleased to play

also, the game is incredible!!! :D

Re: Thank you for not using DRM in WOGShaamaan10/17/2008 - 16:29

I must confess, watching YouTube videos made me think WoG would be another "bridge builder" with slightly more pleasing graphics...

So I downloaded it (at the moment there was no demo). Yes, I'm guilty of that. :-[ But please read on.

I played through the first chapter... then stopped, opened Steam, and bought the game instantly. Best 20$ I've ever spent!