Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)ChrisGrenard10/07/2008 - 16:59

Just finished it a few minutes ago, and I want to congratulate 2dboy and everyone involved on making a game that I think is better than Braid for this year.

I want to keep this as spoiler-free as possible, but I want to say that level 4 was completely unexpected and quite awesome.  In fact, every world of the game had quite a few things that I wasn't expecting and really liked.

Finally, a question: Does anyone know if 2dboy plans on releasing a level editor?  I can see this game having some amazingly fun things to do with a level editor, particularly when combining types of goo that never actually get to interact during the main game.

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)FunkyLlama10/07/2008 - 17:06

[quote author=ChrisGrenard link=topic=237.msg1977#msg1977 date=1223416743]
...better than Braid...

Much as I, after finishing it earlier today, love WoG, I think Braid is better.

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)HexagonalBolts10/07/2008 - 17:11

how long did it roughly take you?

as for the level editor I have no idea:
- Apparently releasing a stable level editor that the public can use it quite hard work
- 2D Boy have enough work on their hands releasing their first game for the first time and creating a 6th chapter for the Wii
- All the levels look quite customized which would make me think each level has fairly unique coding, perhaps not though?
- However a level editor would produce MILLIONS of probably very good levels for free and secure a great community as well as an even more revered first product from 2D Boy, the game has so much potential available.

I need to try Braid really when it comes to PC...

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)ChrisGrenard10/07/2008 - 17:26

Re: Braid vs. WoG.  I really liked Braid, make no mistake.  However, I felt that the end-game stuff didn't feel satisfying.  I thought that the designer, rather than actually explain his story, just made it accessible only to himself.

But really, I *greatly* enjoyed both.  But when asked by friends which I would buy if forced to pick on or the other, I'd go with WoG.

Re: Hex stuff.

I am aware that level editors are tough.  I'm still hoping though!  I looked over the data files, most of the graphics are just PNG files and whatnot, which indicates to me that it should be possible to replicate the levels.

Also, yeah, I'm aware they're still working on other stuff, but I'm still crossing my fingers that they have time for this.

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)planchitecto10/07/2008 - 18:19

[quote author=FunkyLlama link=topic=237.msg1980#msg1980 date=1223417203]
[quote author=ChrisGrenard link=topic=237.msg1977#msg1977 date=1223416743]
...better than Braid...

Much as I, after finishing it earlier today, love WoG, I think Braid is better.

I've also had the opportunity to play both games in completion and will agree with ChrisGrenard that WOG is better than Braid for a number of reasons.  Without giving anything away, WOG felt like fun journey that was full of surprises(I know, kinda cheesy but true!).  The initial play of of Braid was fun but somewhat wore off on me after a few levels.  In WOG, going through the chapters always felt refreshing.  The art, the music, the constant humor--all areas that WOG excelled in over Braid.

I've gotten a few friends to buy WOG today after playing it.  I wish 2dboy much success on what I consider to be game of the year.

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)TwentySeven10/07/2008 - 21:43

Congrats on the game guys, absolutely loved my play through!

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)Dil99910/07/2008 - 22:16

World of Goo is the first puzzle game to, once I beat it, make me immediately want to replay it again and again.  Every single level was genius, and incredibly creative.  My only problem is that you rarely got to use the clingy goo :(

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)Stormdancer10/07/2008 - 23:11

I can not say if WoG is better than Braid.

However, I can play WoG on my PC, which is useful since I don't have an Xbox.

And I gotta say... I really, really enjoyed WoG. A lot. Gooey great fun. Lots of neat twists and tweaks, and I must gloat at having the highest cloud while I can, 'cause I'm sure it won't last!

... eee... so precarious... aiieeee....

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)ChrisGrenard10/07/2008 - 23:21

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=237.msg2022#msg2022 date=1223435776]
World of Goo is the first puzzle game to, once I beat it, make me immediately want to replay it again and again.  Every single level was genius, and incredibly creative.  My only problem is that you rarely got to use the clingy goo :(

See, this is why I want a level editor so much.  Combining, say, skull goo with match goo would be really interesting.  Or water goo with floating goo.

So many interesting combinations...

Re: Just beat World of Goo (no spoilers)Hideous10/08/2008 - 00:49

I just beat it as well. Well, I skipped a few levels, but I finished the game!

I was thinking, if Kyle (who made the music) could release names for all the tracks, I could convert them to MP3 and tag them properly and listen to them even when I'm not playing! :D