Tweaks and other useful gooey stuff

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Tweaks and other useful gooey stuffflexer10/07/2008 - 18:32

So, I decided to open up a forum topic to collect useful tweaks and hints for all us goo lovers :)

So here goes:

1) Resolution:
Not as crucial or useful as one might think. If you increase the resolution nothing will really happen, I suppose, as the images are probably made to work best with the standard res (800x600). Nonetheless, for all those who own wide-screen monitors, we can actually see more on the screen instead of making goo balls look like small eggs ;)
To do this go to the "goo install folder/properties/config.txt" and change the resolution. I'd still no recommend setting it to something huge (even if it will theoretically work), but I set mine to 960x600 which is the wide variance of the standard resolution. Enjoy your goo! :)

Re: Tweaks and other useful gooey stuffcharon1210/07/2008 - 21:33

I tried 1920 x 1080 and it looked okay. However once I completed the first level with 10 gooballs it gave me no way to continue. No chain dropped down from the ceiling and I was stuck. I thought it was funny, but now I'm going to try a resolution setting closer to the original (like your suggestion) and see if I can get somewhere.

P.S. At least my computer didn't explode  ;)

Update: I just realized 960 x 600 isn't 16:9 widescreen but 1066 x 600 is. However, I just tried 1280 x 720 and it seemed to work okay, but some of the graphics like "the end level chain" and the "would you like to submit high scores" are partly cut off but still functional. I think I'm going to scale it back to 1066 x 600 and see if everything is delicious widescreen without cutting off graphics.

Last modified Wed, 10/08/2008 - 01:14 by charon12
Re: Tweaks and other useful gooey stuffflexer10/08/2008 - 01:47

Ok, it depends on one's monitor resolution. In most cases there are screens with 3:4, 9:16 and 10:16 aspect ratios..
for 3:4 it would be 800x600 and for 10:16 - 960x600.

In case of 9:16 monitors, it would be approximately 1066x600. A more correct resolution (with no approximation) would be 800x450 (but I don't think making the resolution lower than the default one is a good idea :) ). I guess the smallest "standard" resolution with both the height and width higher than the default ones wold be 1280x720, but you stated that it didn't work well for you :(

Thanks for your reply ^^

Re: Tweaks and other useful gooey stuffThranx10/13/2008 - 20:04

the sad thing here is that the game didn't take multiple rez's into consideration.  At my display's native rez (1920x1200) it doesn't drop the chain at the end, just as was mentioned.  If I wanted to play games at a lower rez I'd have bought a smaller display.

Bummed/annoyed that they didn't design this game with current day hardware in mind.

Re: Tweaks and other useful gooey stuffThe Happy Friar10/13/2008 - 20:54

upping the res does NOT increase the res of the graphics.  The goo balls & backgrounds are all @ a fixed resolution.  They're 2d graphic files.  So are all the graphics for the structures you make.

The only thing you'll do is a) see more area & b) reduce the size of the objects you're working with.

It's like saying Pong is to crappy looking @ it's res so you shrink it down the the size of a 1x1" square on your screen so it doesn't have jaggies.

Re: Tweaks and other useful gooey stuffWuloonu10/14/2008 - 01:15

Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the mouse into the game so when I scroll over to the left edge the mouse doesn't go onto my other monitor? It gets really annoying trying to scroll to the left ingame when this happens.