Steam or Games for Windows LIVE - which way is 2D Boy going

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Steam or Games for Windows LIVE - which way is 2D Boy goingYachmenev01/24/2010 - 05:13

I bought World of Goo during the Steam holiday sale of 2008, and I can safely say that it one the best games that I have ever bought. I liked the game itself, and I also liked how well integrated it was in Steam. It was one the first non-Valve games I at the time had bought that had Steam Achievements.

A couple of days ago, I also saw that the game was available as a Games for Windows LIVE game. That is great for those who like that service, and even though I personally dispise it cause I think that it only serves to divide the PC gaming audience in to two camps, the consumer should have the right to choose.

However, a growing cause of concern is that many Steam titles, so far only multiformat titles, are even in Steam shipped with Games for Windows LIVE.

That means:
*Two client programs are needed to run the game.
*You get two overlays.
*You get two separate friends list.
*You get two separate achievements list.

That really isn´t good for anyone, so my question is - is this something that could happen to future 2D Boy games, or can I count on your games being available on Steam without any forced inclusion of Games for Windows LIVE?

Re: Steam or Games for Windows LIVE - which way is 2D Boy goingGMMan01/25/2010 - 15:50

I think they're just trying to spread. IMHO, I wouldn't use either because of the DRM. The 2D Boy version has no DRM whatsoever, which is nice.