Insert Spoilers here !

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Insert Spoilers here !NotWorthy10/08/2008 - 15:29

So what you always notice in forums of freshly released... products - is that people don't ever know what lines to cross and which not to not spoil it for everyone else who hasn't yet fully got to know the product in question.
But for me, theres so much depth in WoG and to not discuss it specifically in regards to levels and the flawless Sing Painter, would be a crime  :D - so let us break that boundry now and post what level-specific gems did we like best about the game.

Ill start with one random one out of many many goddies of the game:

The MOM Desktop made me chuckle the first time I saw it - and then it got even better - u got to "scroll up"! - sign painters comment was flawless - specifically liked "is this where windows go when they get minimized?" - its like a nice parody of the indepth alltime question about life "is this where dead ppl go" or whatnot - and then you go and talk to Mom - and my personal fav of her lines was "The search bar isn't my mouth although many ppl think it is - well its not!" hah - theres many great things about that level - also cheers to 2dBoys for the great box-stacking engine.

Also makes one wonder - what if there was a nice shell-replacment that actually allowed you to manage windows as they were physical 2d boxes like in that level. Arranging ur windows on a single desktop is always a pain - snapping not always worx the way u like - and moving or resizing one window makes ur whole manual layout get raped - but if it was all collisionable, it would work itself out - hah - there would be no problem.
Might consider that project strictly-for-fun one day - it would be hellishly hacky since what id do is just screen-dump the hidden windows and display that in raw form and only "translate" various mouse events - but that might inspire more worthy coders :P

but i digress - WHAT GEMS OF SPOILER NATURE DID YOU ENJOY?! :]

Last modified Wed, 10/08/2008 - 15:34 by NotWorthy
Re: Insert Spoilers here !Marius10/08/2008 - 17:37

I really enjoyed the entirety of chapter 4. I really like stacking boxes for support and such.
I really enjoyed how you didn't see coming what you had to do on infesty the worm.

Re: Insert Spoilers here !Dil99910/08/2008 - 17:49

What DID we have to do on infesty the worm?? I just broke my tower into a 2x3 piece and used balloons to float it across the map..

Re: Insert Spoilers here !spliter10/08/2008 - 18:33

I loved the ending on chapter 3. When it said world of go was 3D I got all hyped up, I couldn't believe my eyes, and then when I got to chapter 4 the reality struck me down like a lightning XD
The ending was beautiful as well, the goo ball on the telescope made me laugh hard XDD

Dil999:in the infesty room, normally you would grab one end of the "worm" and then fling that end to another isle, then repeat that until you have one of the ends close to the pipe

Re: Insert Spoilers here !Marius10/08/2008 - 18:35

The ending of chapter 3 wasn't my favorite because of that split second where I thought they might actually have made world of goo in 3D...

Re: Insert Spoilers here !NotWorthy10/08/2008 - 19:58

[quote author=spliter link=topic=264.msg2149#msg2149 date=1223508812]
The ending was beautiful as well, the goo ball on the telescope made me laugh hard XDD

Oh yes I lol'd hard that instant hah - a very swift move to sorta end the whole thing with a great joke.

Re: Insert Spoilers here !NotWorthy10/08/2008 - 20:00

[quote author=Marius link=topic=264.msg2152#msg2152 date=1223508945]
The ending of chapter 3 wasn't my favorite because of that split second where I thought they might actually have made world of goo in 3D...

Don't know about you guys - but I actly feared heavily that the game would become 3d - for me even if one chapter was 3d would ruin it for me - thank god for the "your system does not support 3d - contact user support" message and then the great look of chapter 4 :D - I loved the green as much as the Sign Painter hah

Re: Insert Spoilers here !Marius10/09/2008 - 05:40

I totally want 3d world of goo. You could twirl the camera around by holding the right mouse button, and change the layer where you're placing the gooball forward or backward by scrolling.

I should make a proof of concept.

Too bad I suck at game-coding.

Re: Insert Spoilers here !Ballisticsfood10/09/2008 - 09:01

I loved the level in chapter 4 where you have to use the planet's gravity to wake up the viral goo. It reminded me of the time I spent throwing gooballs into orbit on the main menu.

Re: Insert Spoilers here !Marius10/09/2008 - 09:11

[quote author=Ballisticsfood link=topic=264.msg2199#msg2199 date=1223560893]
I loved the level in chapter 4 where you have to use the planet's gravity to wake up the viral goo. It reminded me of the time I spent throwing gooballs into orbit on the main menu.
Quoted for having the urge to say the exact same thing :)

Re: Insert Spoilers here !Ballisticsfood10/09/2008 - 15:00

Quoting myself.. Wow.

But, and this may come as a shock, since i don't think it should technically be possible, I managed to get one of the viral goos into a stable orbit. I sat for about 20 minutes waiting for the orbit to decay and it just didn't.

Oh, and another part i loved was the OCD flag on the final level.
"This one's mine"
It made me smile.

Last modified Thu, 10/09/2008 - 15:05 by Ballisticsfood
Re: Insert Spoilers here !Marius10/09/2008 - 16:16

[quote author=Ballisticsfood link=topic=264.msg2237#msg2237 date=1223582455]

Quoting myself.. Wow.

But, and this may come as a shock, since i don't think it should technically be possible, I managed to get one of the viral goos into a stable orbit. I sat for about 20 minutes waiting for the orbit to decay and it just didn't.

Oh, and another part i loved was the OCD flag on the final level.
"This one's mine"
It made me smile.

I don't think that's technically possible.
I do believe you however :P
How'd you do it?

Oh and the final level; I'm still not sure if there may be a secret way to get it anyway :P

Re: Insert Spoilers here !Ballisticsfood10/09/2008 - 16:38

Me neither. And as for the goo, I flung all my gooballs into the air pretty much one after the other. Now, if my understanding of the physics is correct it should not have established a stable orbit (since there's a load of other goo in the way that it'll run into) but somehow it did. I've still never been able to get more than 3 or 4 successful orbits since then before it either decayed and crashed or hit some other goo.

It must just have been a lucky collision that bounced one gooball into a stable orbit while the rest went everywhere.

Re: Insert Spoilers here !Marius10/09/2008 - 16:46

Ye gods, that's genius! With collisions it *is* technically possible to get them into orbit :D
Nice :D