Non "pre-order" activation on steam?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Non "pre-order" activation on steam?Synnical7710/12/2008 - 21:08

I really want to buy World of Goo right now but it's not clear whether if I buy the game from this site NOW if I can activate it on steam later.

Although it's been said that pre-orders can activate on steam I'd like to know what happens to copies of the game purchased today and onwards.  I ask because steam isn't selling the game for another 22 hours and I'm on the verge of buying from 2dboy.

Re: Non "pre-order" activation on steam?bennbill10/12/2008 - 22:03

buy from 2d boy; steam acheivements aren't worth the bother seriously.

plus then 2d boy gets all of your moneys

and they deserve it

its an awesome game!

Re: Non "pre-order" activation on steam?Synnical7710/12/2008 - 23:41

Okay, the answer I got was a big fat no.  I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow :(    .

Re: Non "pre-order" activation on steam?hotblack10/13/2008 - 01:13

It would be interesting to know what the relative costs/revenue cut from the different distribution methods are. We may not be able to here this due to contractual issues, but I'm sure that while Steam et al take a cut, there are some savings from server/bandwidth costs. Initial assumptions would be that direct is best though.

Re: Non "pre-order" activation on steam?ZomBuster10/13/2008 - 03:54

The total lack of DRM makes it impossible to check if someone bought the game or not, I was lucky the preorders got that magic key thingie  :D

Re: Non "pre-order" activation on steam?hotblack10/13/2008 - 18:41

Not really, you can track sales without DRM and there absolutely will be records of whose bought the game.

Re: Non "pre-order" activation on steam?martinarcand110/14/2008 - 20:41

Steam takes what.. 2% of the game's revenue?  + The bandwidth usage is completely free for the developer + updates to the game is super easy..

achievements are a great part of Steam games and lots of people buy the games off steam specifically for that reason.

Re: Non "pre-order" activation on steam?Windburn10/14/2008 - 21:57

[quote author=martinarcand1 link=topic=315.msg2832#msg2832 date=1224034915]
Steam takes what.. 2% of the game's revenue?  + The bandwidth usage is completely free for the developer + updates to the game is super easy..

achievements are a great part of Steam games and lots of people buy the games off steam specifically for that reason.

Hehe, I don't think you understand how big a slice of the pie Valve gets from its Steam distribution services. If it was just 2%, every developer would be foaming at the mouth to get on board to such a huge potential installed base. However, that's just not the case. Figures of up and around 40% of cost would not be surprising to me.

That would be more like the cost of running Steam. The Risk v Reward is that you've also got that much more exposure in all probability. It's a tricky one to weigh up before seeing it in action :(