Few questions...

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Few questions...OvermindDL110/13/2008 - 03:36

Just some simple yes/no questions before a purchase is considered.  I found this game due to Steam mentioning it on the front store page.  I would prefer to buy it directly from 2dboy since they stated the code will work with Steam, but an aversion to PayPal (over ten times, every time I have used them, they stole extra money from me) swings back towards Steam (although Impulse would also be quite nice, have you considered them?).

If the game is bought on Steam, would we still get the Linux version when it is released?

Will the profanity pack work on the Steam version (is it offered with it as well)?

Will the Moon Chapter ever make it in a patch to the Steam version (or as a patch to the stand-alone version)?

Why was local multiplayer not supported on the PC (which would be a rather simple add considering the logic is already in there due to it being supported in the Wii version)?  Is it ever expected to be added in a patch?  There are multiple ways of supporting it from supporting multiple mice (native-easy on Linux/Mac, easy to do on Windows XP and higher, unsupported on earlier Windows), as well as the fact that the Wiimote works fine on the PC (I own a few just for use with my PC actually).  If you need code or help for implementing any of this if you ever decide to do so, I know how and have done so before (quite simple to do, this is also assuming C++ as that is what I know best, but the interfaces will work in multiple languages so it would not be hard to work out if you use some other language with native code access).

Will there be any mod support (even something as simple as creating new goo types with supportable terrain)?

Will there be a map editor with the full capabilities of creating anything the built-in levels are capable of doing?

Will the Steam version be using Steams Cloud functionality to store your profile information on the Steam 'Cloud' or will it only persist on the machine it is installed in?

Does it place anything in any other directory other then the install directory on Windows or Linux?  (Reason I ask, no game has write access to anywhere outside of where it is installed and one folder up in both of those operating systems that I have installed, so as long as it has an appropriate fallback if it tries to place the profile information in an irritating place such as %APPDATA%, which will fail)

Although I am not interested in the answer to this one, others (not in this forum) have been curious as to when/if a demo will be released?

I may come up with another question or two depending on the answers on the above (not to mention that answers to the above will no doubt be quite useful for people to learn about this game setup before purchase).

But yes, if you do have some other method of direct payment other then through PayPal (such as something that just takes a normal credit/debit card directly), and since you stated support for adding the game bought through you into Steam and that, that support is assured, I would prefer to pay you directly and just add the code to Steam to get the Steamworks version then.

Re: Few questions...Try_lee10/13/2008 - 03:54

I think I know some of these...

Profanity pack is included as a pre-order bonus for orders on 2dboy.com only, but I'm guessing will work on the steam version.
Moon chapter looks like it's European retail box only at the moment.  Hopefully it'll be added to the PC later.
Save data is stored in C:\Documents an...\Application Data\.
Demo is coming early next year, apparently due to certain contractual limitations.  Which really sucks.  I wanna spread the love, but it's hard without people being able to get a taste.

Re: Few questions...OvermindDL110/13/2008 - 09:38

I am guessing it is too late to pre-order by this point.  Rather difficult to pre-order (which I usually pre-order just about everything interesting on the net) if you do not know about a game...

Re: Few questions...Dil99910/13/2008 - 17:55

OK: Here's the answers to everything I can remember:

Quote:
Will the Moon Chapter ever make it in a patch to the Steam version (or as a patch to the stand-alone version)?

Currently, they only plan to release it in Europe.
Quote:
Will the profanity pack work on the Steam version (is it offered with it as well)?

Almost surely, yes.  It will probably just require switching some sound files.
Quote:
Will there be any mod support (even something as simple as creating new goo types with supportable terrain)?
Will there be a map editor with the full capabilities of creating anything the built-in levels are capable of doing?

A pretty long time ago someone asked the same thing and the official reply was no.  It may have changed since then, though.
Quote:
Although I am not interested in the answer to this one, others (not in this forum) have been curious as to when/if a demo will be released?

Early next year, according to kyle.

Re: Few questions...musta10/14/2008 - 06:10

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=323.msg2569#msg2569 date=1223938534]
OK: Here's the answers to everything I can remember:

Quote:

Currently, they only plan to release it in Europe.

Even if I'm European, I preordered the game as a long time follower of this project,
Even if I understand the issues involving a boxed distribution in Europe, I'm still somewhat disappointed that the new chapter won't be available, even as a reasonable priced addon...

Re: Few questions...Dil99910/14/2008 - 19:22

I'm hoping that it will be released as an addon.  Nobody has officially said that it will or will not be, so we just need to wait and see.  I'll be surprised if it isn't.

Re: Few questions...Chetyre10/14/2008 - 19:50

To all those asking about a demo:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8272094#post8272094

Apparently they changed their minds?