My Early World of Goo Impressions [Just beat Chapter 1]

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
My Early World of Goo Impressions [Just beat Chapter 1]GelatinousEncore10/14/2008 - 05:22

If you're in a "tl;dr" mode and want to know my verdict on this game, it's the following: DOWNLOAD. NOW!

Alright, now for a more detailed version. Keep in mind I played the WiiWare version, just now beat Chapter 1 (didn't try out Chapter 2 yet) so I'm fairly early into the game, and I haven't tried co-op. With that being said, let me get into why World of Goo is amazing.

The game's presentation is just amazing. The Art style is like few games I've seen before, and so is the music. But what really makes this game amazing is its simple, yet so very compelling premise. I'm sure you've heard of it already. You build structures with Goo balls in order to get them to the pipe at the exit. You're like okay fine, that doesn't sound too good. Then you find out that this is compelling because of a deep physics system. You're like... okay, this sounds a lot better. But this is a game you actually have to play and experience yourself to truly get it (I know this sounds like a fact sheet, but in this case it's actually true), it's like if someone tells you a Pizza is delicious, and they describe the amazing taste that forms with the creamy melted cheese and the sweet tomato sauce, you can imagine what the Pizza tastes like, but you won't truly understand how amazing it is until you eat a slice yourself. This happens with World of Goo.

So really, that makes these impressions pretty worthless, since no matter how much or how good I write, you will never get this until you play it. But who cares, I feel like sharing my happiness with you guys anyway. Something that seems amazingly simple becomes much more difficult when you throw in the physics, but when you play, and your structure falls, you won't be like "Dammit!", you'll be more like "...Heh. Silly me". It's so hard to describe the joy of playing this game because it's like nothing you've played before. The difficulty ramps up constantly, but since you'll be understanding the concept of the game a lot better as you progress, you'll be able to fight this increasing difficulty. It's hard. And you'll love that.

Some people classify this as a puzzle game. I call it a creativity game. It's a game where the only tools you have at your disposal to be able to drag the Goo balls to the pipe are your experience with life and common sense. You see the Goo balls gathered in point A, and you must get them to point B. But it's not like in other games where you know how to clear the level because you previously understood a certain mechanic or gimmick of the game (jumping in a Mario game, shooting in Halo, etc etc), it's because you've lived life that you know what to do. It's common sense. This game doesn't become second nature when you play like most good games, this game is already first nature from the minute you start the first level.

And that's all I have to say. I've only cleared Chapter 1 so I'm still a young Padawan when it comes to truly understanding this game. But I already know it's awesome.

...Damn, this game rules.