Leave No Goo Behind!

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Leave No Goo Behind!mezmer-eye10/14/2008 - 20:49

We all know the drill! >:( LEAVE NO GOO BEHIND!!!!!!
How do you not let any goos die though?
Example: [=limegreen][shadow=blue,left][u][b][glow=red,2,300]!!!SPOILER!!!The red carpet level can be done with a bunch of ivys behind the carpet instead of building on the button plus you can pull the albino structure off with proper unbalancing
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=106zqir&s=4

Re: Leave No Goo Behind!Try_lee10/15/2008 - 00:06

Yea, this level annoyed me for a while for murderous actions it caused me to perform.  It gave me great relief when I realised it could be done that way! :D

Now if only there was a way to complete some levels without making goo explode. :(

Re: Leave No Goo Behind!ChrisGrenard10/15/2008 - 00:39

[quote author=Try_lee link=topic=376.msg2854#msg2854 date=1224047195]
Yea, this level annoyed me for a while for murderous actions it caused me to perform.  It gave me great relief when I realised it could be done that way! :D

Now if only there was a way to complete some levels without making goo explode. :(

I thought that level was extremely creative in an artistic fashion.  The whole, "Step on the little people if it serves you" thing just resonated with that part of the chapter.  I'm not sure if that was precisely the intent, but I loved that it actually kinda disturbed me, killing all my little goo balls.

Re: Leave No Goo Behind!Marius10/15/2008 - 04:04

Shit... you beat me in getting the level without killing goos. Kudos! I was doing it wrong, I was trying to 'catch' the red carpet with a structure I built, which is actually possible at the very tip of the red carpet. It has so much impulse though, that it's hard to get the catching gooball to stay at the tip.

Move the structure out of the way... why didn't I think of that? >_<

Re: Leave No Goo Behind!Ryunosuke10/15/2008 - 20:27

I couldn't figure out how to do it the way you described, but I did figure out another way to avoid killing any goos: [=1pt]I just barely able to slip an albino goo under the red carpet to prop it up and let a few others through, which I repeatedly bounced against the red carpet to push it over.[/]

I could put up a YouTube video of it if anyone wants to see it in action...

Re: Leave No Goo Behind!Marius10/16/2008 - 03:39

[quote author=Ryunosuke link=topic=376.msg3038#msg3038 date=1224120470]
I couldn't figure out how to do it the way you described, but I did figure out another way to avoid killing any goos: [=1pt]I just barely able to slip an albino goo under the red carpet to prop it up and let a few others through, which I repeatedly bounced against the red carpet to push it over.[/]

I could put up a YouTube video of it if anyone wants to see it in action...
Yes, but that still kills the initial structure of albino goos. Which goes against the leave no goos behind policy.

Re: Leave No Goo Behind!tfk10/16/2008 - 14:18

What exactly says that police? that no goo has to get killed (spikes, wheels etc.) or that every goo has to make it out? cos once they're "good" to each other, the can't be sucked in unless something cuts that connection, can they? and often its impossible to do that... in the picture above, the albino goos, while not getting killed by the spikes, still don't make it to the pipe, do they? And so, for the sake of the score, it doesn't matter?

But, of course, it's still nice to not let those little guys be crushed by that ugly thing  :D

Re: Leave No Goo Behind!Marius10/16/2008 - 14:43

Well, in that level it's impossible to let albino/green goos get sucked into the pipe, but using them to build something that will cruch them just feels... wrong. So we're trying to prevent having to do that.

Re: Leave No Goo Behind!Ryunosuke10/16/2008 - 18:17

[quote author=Marius link=topic=376.msg3077#msg3077 date=1224146364]
Yes, but that still kills the initial structure of albino goos. Which goes against the leave no goos behind policy.

Er, right, I forgot to mention that I moved that first. It's just the second part I couldn't figure out.