Europe - direct sale from 2D Boy?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Europe - direct sale from 2D Boy?zoebme10/15/2008 - 01:58

I know I can't use Steam to buy the game anymore because I am in Europe. So I tried to buy it directly from 2D Boy, but it won't accept my credit card. Has anyone with a European credit card had any luck with a direct purchase or does that not work, either?

In the latter case I would be a bit pissed. I mean, do you seriously expect us to wait to February while everybody raves about the game? I know this was not your intention, but this is exactly one of the reasons why people pirate games! Here I am, trying to make a point about buying a DRM-free game (that also happens to look like it is great) and I get screwed once again because I live outside the US. Read the contracts with your publishers properly and don't enter into such terrible agreements!

Re: Europe - direct sale from 2D Boy?locomorto10/15/2008 - 02:25

Have you tried using paypal? You should then be able to get around that restriction :/.

Otherwise, you could always buy it directly from 2D Boy or one of the other distrubtion networks (Probably. 2D Boy should be fine though).

Re: Europe - direct sale from 2D Boy?zoebme10/15/2008 - 04:06

Thanks, you are right, I got it to work after actually making a Paypal account. I don't know why it needed that, but it works.

Sorry for the rant earlier. I panicked. But all is good if only Steam is affected and the direct purchase works.

Re: Europe - direct sale from 2D Boy?locomorto10/15/2008 - 05:01

Yea Steam often does regional pricing/restrictions :(. For instance they wanted me (and still do infact) to fork out $88.50 AUD for COD4.

Re: Europe - direct sale from 2D Boy?FISKER_Q10/15/2008 - 05:13

[quote author=locomorto link=topic=381.msg2904#msg2904 date=1224064893]
Yea Steam often does regional pricing/restrictions :(. For instance they wanted me (and still do infact) to fork out $88.50 AUD for COD4.

The developer/publisher does regional pricing/restrictions, not Steam.

Infact i'm surprised how they can sell the game here globally, if they're not allowed to sell it on any other service in europe then they're not allowed to sell it on the site either.

I just hope it gets sorted :)

Re: Europe - direct sale from 2D Boy?hotblack10/15/2008 - 16:50

They can sell it here globally as there isn't a publisher whose in control of the project or financed it. It's all in the hands of 2dboy. Some deals (particularly bad ones) were made with one regional publisher in Europe, but those don't restrict worldwide sales.