for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)SjN10/19/2008 - 14:31

I am 23 year old, I bought over 30 games in the past 5 years for Wii and PC, and most of those games I played no more than 20 minutes each before uninstalling it, selling it or giving it away.

I don't know if it's me or people don't know how to make fun games anymore. most companies hire 100 people to work on 3d visuals, textures and music... and a few untalanted people to work on an actual gameplay.

game like World of Goo still gives me hope that GREAT games do exist.
the only game that I enjoyed playing besides World of Goo was Zack and wiki for wii, an incredible puzzle game.

So I am talking to people who LOVED world of goo and that can recommend me another game that's Worth playing, because I really miss playing games and It took me a year after I played Zack and wiki to find another game that was worth playing which is World of goo. so go ahead.. make my day. give me the good stuff.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)BeSD10/19/2008 - 14:36

Before WoG came in my life, I was addicted to Peggle. Also a simple game, but cleverly made.
Another great game is Gish: http://www.chroniclogic.com/index.htm?gish.htm
Gish is like an oversized Goo ball, but made out of tar.  :)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Blueskied10/19/2008 - 14:58

I liked Armadillo Run a lot.
A physics game with much simpler graphics than WoG, but very interesting puzzles.
http://www.armadillorun.com/

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)soad66710/19/2008 - 16:06

From my favourites, trying to find the most innovative and physics-based, here we are (there are some gems with not so many physics, i'll post them too and do what you want with them ;))...

Armadillo Run
Bridge It
Crazy Machines
Eets
Gish
I-Fluid
N
Obulis
Robo Blitz
Switchball
Trials 2 SE

There are some more on my mind, but check the above for now. ::)
Enjoy them ;)

Last modified Sun, 10/19/2008 - 16:18 by soad667
Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)The Happy Friar10/19/2008 - 16:37

[quote author=SjN link=topic=504.msg3681#msg3681 date=1224444664]
I am 23 year old, I bought over 30 games in the past 5 years for Wii and PC, and most of those games I played no more than 20 minutes each before uninstalling it, selling it or giving it away.

you have WAY to much expendable income.  :D  Perhaps your standards are way to high too (aka nothings good enough)

R.I.P. Triple Pack
Manic Space
Stalker (I like both, but some people don't like it at all)
ET:QW
Action Doom 2

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Marius10/19/2008 - 16:48

[quote author=BeSD link=topic=504.msg3683#msg3683 date=1224444963]
Before WoG came in my life, I was addicted to Peggle. Also a simple game, but cleverly made.
Another great game is Gish: http://www.chroniclogic.com/index.htm?gish.htm
Gish is like an oversized Goo ball, but made out of tar.  :)

You beat me to it :P
Seconded.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)FlonZ10/19/2008 - 17:59

Toribash free, simple, multiplayer, singleplayer, skillbased, lots of fun!
Garry's Mod goooooood!
Geometry Wars Hard!
Battlefield Heroes, if you have the time to get a beta key
Live for Speed, if you like car sim games, also a nice demo is made

CS 1.6, Team Fortress 2, DoD:Source and so on ! ::)

I have a bunch of games which I'm really looking forward to,
including Left 4 Dead, Little Big Planet, Far Cry 2, etc.  :P

Last modified Sun, 10/19/2008 - 18:08 by FlonZ
Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)liq310/19/2008 - 18:27

My list is short.

N is the best flash game ever made. Period.
Aquaria is extremely well made, and has a great story line.

If you're the competitive type, I'd also recommend Go and Starcraft:Broodwar. I play Go on KGS and I hear iCCup is the best place for competitive SC:BW these days.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Marius10/19/2008 - 18:50

Speaking of N:

Did anyone beat all 500 levels yet? (I did)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)liq310/19/2008 - 19:39

[quote author=Marius link=topic=504.msg3707#msg3707 date=1224460210]
Speaking of N:

I have, twice...I lost my save file once :(.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Blueskied10/19/2008 - 19:51

Wii: Boom Blox
Played it with some friends, it was quite a lot of fun.
Don't know about the single player mode.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)soad66710/19/2008 - 21:42

[quote author=liq3 link=topic=504.msg3713#msg3713 date=1224463199]
[quote author=Marius link=topic=504.msg3707#msg3707 date=1224460210]
Speaking of N:
I have, twice...I lost my save file once.

Btw, where exactly does N save its progress?
I deleted it twice, it didn't keep any saves and the game's folder doesn't have anything recognizable.

Last but not least, maybe a fellow moderator should move this to the... offtopic section? Or not? Maybe we should ask MOM about it... ::)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)liq310/19/2008 - 23:43

I remembered two more games that are kinda fun.

Cave Story and Iji. Just google them. They're both pretty decent indie games.

hmmmmthemacmeister10/20/2008 - 00:02

I am very much looking forward to Mushroom Men on the Wii, now back on topic...

On the Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy - a MUST PLAY. finished it 3.5 times already (3x242 stars)
Wii Sports - a LOT of fun - even in 1-player mode (anyone get a perfect 300 bowling yet?) I got all strikes and one spare for 279.

On the PC:

Psychonauts - beautiful, and fiendishly great (an indie developer too?)
Peggle - thirded!!
Crack-Attack! - free, superb (and silent)
Quake 3 Arena/Team Arena - what all FPS and online shooters are judged against!

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)xepherys10/20/2008 - 01:01

Some have been mentioned before, but:

Braid (XBLA/PC?) Puzzler/Platformer *** *** This game is amazing *** ***
Portal (PC/X360) - Puzzle/Unique
Peggle (PC) - Puzzler
Zuma (PC/XBLA) - Puzzler/Action
N/N+ (PC/XBLA) - Puzzler
Bejeweled (XBLA) - Puzzler
Outpost Kaloki X (PC/XBLA) - A sim-style simple game with good concepts

Less casual games that I also think are quite good:

Crackdown (X360)
Bioshock (PC/X360)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)NightCabbage10/20/2008 - 01:06

Fantastic Contraption

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)lukipuk10/20/2008 - 05:29

Aquaria is very beautifull atmospheric exploration game with massive world and story, u should certainly try it!
Nobody mentioned Mr.Robot: link
You could also try very good tactical/strategy game Darwinia: link

Some of very good free games:
Almost everything from Nifflas: link
Cave Story is classic: link
If you like complex game mechanics, then Dwarf Fortress is the greatest town/fortress building strategy game: link

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)turdodine10/20/2008 - 08:09

old school stuff = Lemmings or Boulderdash
new school stuff = Spore

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)lukipuk10/20/2008 - 09:23

[quote author=turdodine link=topic=504.msg3792#msg3792 date=1224508179]
new school stuff = Spore

Actually i've heard that spore's gameplay has been reduced to only simple mechanics because of consoles or casual gamers or something...never played though

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)The0ldMan10/20/2008 - 13:09

[quote author=NightCabbage link=topic=504.msg3754#msg3754 date=1224482790]
Fantastic Contraption

This is what I came to say.  Best flash game ever made. 

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Marius10/20/2008 - 13:42

I hate fantasticcontraption. It just feels... I dunno, strange, wrong, not fluent, whatever.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Blueskied10/20/2008 - 16:24

I like Fantastic Contraption, later levels get very hard though.
Magic Pen: Another nice physics flash game, less hardcore:
http://www.bubblebox.com/play/puzzle/975.htm

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)liq310/20/2008 - 21:50

[quote author=The0ldMan link=topic=504.msg3821#msg3821 date=1224526186]
Fantastic Contraption

Sorry, but N is better >:(

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Wishbone10/26/2008 - 10:53

What games other people happen to like may not help you very much, but if you're looking for gameplay that is similar in style, I'd recommend Bridge Builder. You can find it at http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com/. Grab the "Free download Bridge Building Game (2006)". It's addictive as hell. The object of the game is to build a bridge across a chasm, using mechanics very similar to World Of Goo (so similar that I'm pretty sure Bridge Builder served as inspiration for WoG). The catch is that the bridge not only has to support itself, but has to support a train running across it too.

Try it. I think anyone who likes WoG will like Bridge Builder as well.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)art begotti10/26/2008 - 13:02

To those who have put in recommendations for Peggle: Have you tried the sequel, "Peggle Nights" yet? I own both, and in all honesty, I think Nights is just a shade (pun unintended) better. Don't get me wrong, the original Peggle was good, and Peggle Nights is actually shorter (by only about five or ten levels), but I also felt like it had something the original Peggle lacked, and so it felt a bit more "complete," in a sense. It might be the Ace Score system, or the addition of that new character, or that they cleaned up a few tiny design errors (which I like to nitpick over), but something definitely makes it just a bit more satisfying to play.

I'd also recommend N, and will throw in that I have beaten every stage except 89, and since then, I've had to get a new computer, so all that progress is lost... :(

In terms of console gaming, I've always been a huge fan of the WarioWare series, and if you have a Wii, I'd strongly recommend "WarioWare: Smooth Moves!" As far as the storyline goes, the game is a bit short, and you'll have everything unlocked in no time, but that's when the game gets even better. I love the feeling of joyful panic I get from playing that game as everything gets faster and harder, and I can't help but laugh at myself as I'm struggling to keep up.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)spliter10/26/2008 - 14:10

the only games I can recommend you are a subset of the games I played, so they might not be best games ever.
here they are:

1-Portal (puzzle, the greatest game ever made)
2-Team Fortress 2 (multiplayer)
3-Half Life 1,Half life 2, HL2 episode 1 and HL2 ep2 (FPS)
4-Bioshock (FPS)
5-Wik and the fable of the souls (not sure)
6-Gish (physics puzzle)
7-Psychonauts (pretty funny, but can't get a decent genre for it... adventure?)
8-Frets of Fire (kinda Guitar Hero, but for free)
9-Unreal Tournament (the first one)
10-Need for Speed most Wanted
11-...
12-Profit!  (sorry, couldn't help myself ><)

All of those games are available for PC. But if you like them or not depends on what genres you like. Most of them are either original, Funny, or just plain action games

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)NightCabbage10/27/2008 - 06:37

[quote author=liq3 link=topic=504.msg3868#msg3868 date=1224557436]
Sorry, but N is better >:(

Sorry, but for me, N had about the same excitement level as Portal would without the portal gun...
It's a good solid platformer, but with no special feature / ability to make it stand out from the crowd :(

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)toggo10/27/2008 - 09:35

[quote author=The0ldMan link=topic=504.msg3821#msg3821 date=1224526186]
Fantastic Contraption

I'll second that! Such an awesome game!

Peggle Sequel?themacmeister10/28/2008 - 03:52

How could I miss that - I totally aced original Peggle (one level short - 750,000 points). I thought it was way too soon for a sequel to come out, as they were still riding the wave of success and word-of-mouth sales.

Now there is another game I must buy :(

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)BeSD10/30/2008 - 10:09

Yesterday I bought Fallout 3, and it kept me away from Goo. Untill a few minutes ago.  ;D
But it is a great game, with great graphics and a strong plotline. And lets not forget the replay value. And it is modable like Oblivion, so I think about modding some Goo to it.  :P

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Ballisticsfood10/30/2008 - 10:50

I'm afraid i'm a hardcore Garrysmod fan. I've even tried to make a goo tower and failed miserably... Although it does have a few interesting physics glitches you can do a lot of stuff, and the number of addons, extra entities, models, npcs and full gamemodes is quite staggering.

Apart from that pretty much all the games I like have been mentioned, although i don't see any references for Steam Brigade (which is just my steampunk fix to be honest)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)kaibam2111/03/2008 - 10:05

little fighter 2 is a great game (http://www.lf2.net/)
and knytt stories as well ^^(http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories)
love 'em ^^
(and both are freeware :P)

Last modified Mon, 11/03/2008 - 10:08 by kaibam21
Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Naym11/03/2008 - 20:38

Similar prob here, it's been a long time since I bought a mainstream game, they are all the same.

Lots of desktop games mentioned already.

On the Wii 'de Blob' is the last great game I found.  It's something completely different, although it can be a bit easy in some parts.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)doubletime11/04/2008 - 16:10

lemmings Is not as simpel as WoG but it is to psp and has a ingame level editor and is really great if you have a psp or ps2.

I allso loved Patapon wich is simpel strategi game http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/patapon/index.html?tag=result;title;0

I spended about 100 hours in this game. And i allmost got perfect gear. I was only missing the Giganto Horn.

Loco roco is allso nioce

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Nicosmos11/04/2008 - 16:35

Quote:
On the Wii 'de Blob' is the last great game I found.  It's something completely different, although it can be a bit easy in some parts.

deBlob is also available on Windows, freely (in price), in its first version - developed by some Dutch students : http://binnenstad.hku.nl

May I add...martinstatic11/07/2008 - 22:02

I don't know if any of you have played with Phun, a simple physics game that lets you draw objects which immediately come to life and fall over; there's water, fire etc, and variables such as bounciness, density etc can all be adjusted.
Freeware, and fun!

YouTube video

Official Site

Hope you enjoy, because I did.
:)

Last modified Fri, 11/07/2008 - 22:12 by MartinStatic
Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)paledragon6411/09/2008 - 00:23

I'm glad you enjoy Zack and Wiki. That was a fantastic game as well.

Since you seem to like puzzle games, I recommend Boom Blox, but you absolutely HAVE to get Portal for the PC. It's an amazing game. I looked at both Portal and World of Goo's influences on gaming society, and they're both very similar in terms of "amazing puzzle game with awesome style." You MUST get it.

Portal & Boom Bloxthemacmeister11/09/2008 - 04:43

I have to second PoRTaL, as it is in a genre to itself - and funny as hell.

I have heard wonderful things about Boom Blox (produced by Steven Spielberg). It looks like a physics/action/puzzle game to beat all.

I must also put in a plug for Hamsterball (from Raptisoft originally) - the latest version have more levels and multiplayer.

Finally, don't forget the open source Neverball/Neverputt - the Subversion repository version is showing great promise - and is near 1.5.0 release. There are Mac/Win builds on the forum - and Linux users can easily build from SVN.
Check out http://www.icculus.org/neverball and follow the forum link there for the latest releases.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Sqoon11/09/2008 - 04:53

Someone mentioned Eets a while back. Steam is offering a big discount this weekend, so I recommend giving the demo a shot to see if you like it.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)martinstatic11/09/2008 - 19:06

I third Portal, it's a great game, that must be played by any gamer with a brain. (Partially because it's frikkin' hard enough with a brain, would be impossible without)

In case you don't know (you most likely do though), Portal is a first-person puzzle game that puts you in little levels with an entrance and an exit. The gun you are given can shoot 2 portals that stick to walls, and link to each other.

Shoot a portal at the ceiling and one in front of you, and you can see your head. Walk through it and you will fall from the ceiling. The puzzles get much more complex and fun than that though. :)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)paledragon6411/09/2008 - 20:25

If anyone is interested in Portal, you can play this free 2D flash game that gives the basic concepts. It doesn't come close to the actual game, though, so if you are still unsure about it or didn't like it, don't count out the actual game, it's still much better in 3 dimensions (too bad world of goo was incompatible with that...imagine how crazy it would've been in 3D...:P)

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/404612

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Stickybomb6704/28/2009 - 17:58

WINDOSiLL is a great physics game at Vector Park.
www.windosill.com

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)vonboy04/28/2009 - 21:39

you should try pikmin and/or pikmin 2. you can try either the original gamecube releases ( you can play it on the wii, but you will need a gamecube controller to play it and a memory card to save your progress.) or you can play the wii ports of them (which added wiimote controls, which i heard works very well with these games, though i haven't tried it myself.)

if you actually like them, you should them try a little known wii game called little kings story, which is a lot like pikmin and also very good.

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Tijmen00704/30/2009 - 16:50

Supreme Commander : Forged Alliance  :-*
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory  ;D
Garrysmod
Half Life Series
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead
Far Cry 2
Crysis Warhead
Mass effect
Fall Out 3
Command and Conquer Generals & Tiberium Wars
Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer
F.E.A.R. 2
Cortex Command ( Really fun Pixel Based game  :D )
And many more... Just too lazy to write 'em all down.  8)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)DerSchauspieler05/03/2009 - 10:48

And yet it moves, not very difficult, far too short, but beautifully made

http://www.andyetitmoves.net/index.php?content=screens&imgnr=6&imgpage=1

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)TheHermit05/04/2009 - 04:56

[quote author=DerSchauspieler link=topic=504.msg12125#msg12125 date=1241365732]
And yet it moves, not very difficult, far too short, but beautifully made

http://www.andyetitmoves.net/index.php?content=screens&imgnr=6&imgpage=1

Agreed. Not very challenging at all once you've grasped the "rules" regarding how far/fast you can fall without dying.
Good idea, but needs something more...

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Soultaker05/04/2009 - 08:23

[quote author=Stickybomb67 link=topic=504.msg12016#msg12016 date=1240959497]
www.windosill.com

Very nice game, although it's more of an art project than a game. Still, well worth the $3 for half an hour of enjoyment. :)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Stickybomb6705/04/2009 - 15:28

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=504.msg12135#msg12135 date=1241443381]
[quote author=Stickybomb67 link=topic=504.msg12016#msg12016 date=1240959497]
www.windosill.com

Very nice game, although it's more of an art project than a game. Still, well worth the $3 for half an hour of enjoyment. :)

True dat. 8)

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)master goo05/05/2009 - 00:00

I found "brutal bob and dangerous dave" 2 years ago and i still play it wenever i fail to find 'fun' in any game at times...

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)Stickybomb6705/05/2009 - 06:38

Mercury Meltdown: Revolution!

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)TheWampaKing05/05/2009 - 08:32

http://specksoflight.com/games/untangle/

This is pretty fun

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)vonboy05/06/2009 - 05:55

[quote author=Stickybomb67 link=topic=504.msg12151#msg12151 date=1241523488]
Mercury Meltdown: Revolution!

i second that! it's a really good wii game [if not a very difficult one at that!]

Re: for WoG fans: Other games WORTH playing? (help me out)BloxWorld05/15/2009 - 19:44

if you have a mac, pangeasoft.net makes really good games like Bugdom and Otto Matic.

They released a few games for PC, but i'm not sure which ones.