Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]themacmeister10/22/2008 - 05:13

I just finished the game (with a few skipped levels), and I was considering what a sequel to the game could contain...

As far as physics goes, there are still many combinations and iterations to try. Also, more animated and mobile goo-balls to invent. Also, there is no need for goo-balls to remain the same size.

I would also like to be put out of my misery. Is there an extra level very high up in WoG Corp Memorial Park? Is that what the end animation was referring to?

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Granite T. Rock10/26/2008 - 23:42

I too would like to know if there is something to build up towards.  I'm using the wii version.  I read somewhere that the Europeans paid a bit more and got a 5th level which I from my interpretation would work quite nicely with the final animation.  My hope is for a wii sequel with the missing level and a few more added in.

But in the mean time it would be nice to know if there is something to build towards.

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Troute10/26/2008 - 23:43

World of Goo 2: Goo in Space!

Featuring tower building in zero gravity! ;D

Don't laugh Troute!themacmeister10/27/2008 - 05:11

Super Mario already did it, as did Friday the Thirteenth (Jason X).

Not too outlandish, but I like gravity as it is :)

Zero-G would be interesting in one or two levels, but that floaty feeling makes me motion sick!

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Troute10/27/2008 - 05:20

Galaxy of Goo ;D

World of Goo Corporation would be interesting in zero gravity. 150m towers, anyone? :)

GoGthemacmeister10/28/2008 - 03:49

I must admit that building in zero-G, in any direction (like octopus tentacles) is an enticing idea... can't say I have seen that used anywhere (except on the N64 with Tetrisphere), which is a different type of game entirely.

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]BeeZeroOne10/30/2008 - 07:25

A gravity-less level would need a special type of rocket-goo. You'd put it on the edge of your structure and it'd fly it around until removed. Imagine building a little structure from a central point large enough to attach the rocket goo to, then carefully using it to navigate around a maze of floating spikes and space-mines. It'd make a good chapter but a whole other game based around zero-g would be a little extreme. Maybe different planets with their own sets of physics, and zero-gravity levels travelling between them?

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]ltworek10/30/2008 - 09:15

If you look in the levels directory you will see a map called ThrusterTest that does not appear in the game.  Unfortunately the corresponding goo balls it uses have been removed from the balls directory and so the map crashes if you try to launch it.  But I think it gives a nice hint at what we are going to see in the future 6th island. 

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Soultaker10/30/2008 - 10:48

The scene is exactly identical to that of GoingUp, so it was probably just a test. The only difference is these thruster goos, but since they aren't defined in the current version of the game, there's nothing new to see, unfortunately. :)

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]BeeZeroOne10/30/2008 - 13:32

Anyone else think we jumped the gun and spoiled the surprise on this one? XD

Unless they removed them altogether and The Moon won't feature them, but with reduced gravity it'd make sense to have them...

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Marius10/30/2008 - 13:35

Why yes, we might be spoiling the surprise...

But it sorta feels fun to have knowledge like this before everyone else :P

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]BeeZeroOne10/30/2008 - 13:55

With regards to The Moon itself, I think on the first level the Goo balls that you launched with the eyeball balloons in Chapter 1 might land on the moon. It'd make sense as a way to link things together. Maybe the chapter's goal will be to get the goos back down to the planet.

I just hope that the Moon chapter will be released as an expansion pack for the US release. I live in the UK but I couldn't wait until the Euro release, so I got the US version instead, and I don't want to miss out on rocket goos because of my impatience. :(

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Marius10/30/2008 - 14:00

Probably. It will probably also be seen through the telescope, nay?

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]BeeZeroOne10/30/2008 - 14:03

Unless the little planet the green goos drift by is actually The Moon. Otherwise, yes.

First time I saw the ending I though the goo stuck to the lens was actually the Moon, and the Moon was a giant goo :P (Crushing the goo like that was kind of harsh on the Sign Painter's part. Then again I've thrown a lot off the edge doing some OCDs; Product Launcher springs to mind.)

[SPOILERS] x 3themacmeister10/31/2008 - 00:05

I must admit that the final cutscene had the balloons floating into space (as seen through the telescope). It also showed a planet like silhouette with gooballs already on it. We know there is a European Moon Level, but my original question is - "Is this where the WoG Corp Memorial meta-game is?"

(sorry about bad grammar - I just want to know if my many many hours of building might actually unlock something).

PS. I have been playing for 11hrs according to the in-game timer. This sounds about correct, although I have only 2 (accidental) OCDs. It would be incredibly helpful if the OCD requirements were available - and not randomly discovered... sigh

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Marius10/31/2008 - 02:04

Some winners are bigger than other winners!
Look in each area's MENU for more important information.
-with distinction, the Sign Painter

HUH?themacmeister10/31/2008 - 17:48

That didn't help at all Marius :)

With Distinction? OCD? could be?

If there was some kind of hidden content, someone would have spilt the beans by now. I just hope we might see the profanity pack sometime soon.

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Marius10/31/2008 - 18:08

[quote author=Marius link=topic=552.msg4732#msg4732 date=1225436697]Some winners are bigger than other winners!
Look in each area's MENU for more important information.
-with distinction, the Sign PainterDid you ever try pressing esc? (I'm not sure what it is on the Wii... but you have the PC version right?)

uh oh!themacmeister11/01/2008 - 00:14

I feel total embarrassment coming on...

I am a mouse user, and don't think I have ever pressed escape in-game yet. I will give it a look-see. I managed to get about 4 more OCDs last night, so I'm doing OK randomly anyway ;D

Thanks for the info - really!

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]XerxesQados11/01/2008 - 03:13

There's definitely the framework for alternate sources of gravity. The Graphics Processing Unit level in Chapter 4 involved a different than normal center of gravity, if I recall.

It would be interesting to see a level with a bunch of tiny planetoids, each with their own gravity well.

Re: Ripe for a Sequel! [SPOILERS]Marius11/01/2008 - 06:25

Just a graphics processor level where you can build a tower instead of shoot stuff in orbit would already be awesome, IMO...