Save transfer from standalone to steam version?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Save transfer from standalone to steam version?Kegel10/24/2008 - 21:38

Is this possible?  I have the game activated on Steam (havent installed it yet though) and would like to switch to the Steam version.  Is it possible to transfer my progress to the steam version (Ove almost complted my pre-order download version).

Re: Save transfer from standalone to steam version?SawaFish10/25/2008 - 02:00

I did so but I couldn't locate a save file so I just let Steam download WoG. And then copied all my files from the standalone to the Steam WoG directory. Since that worked I uninstalled the standalone but unfortunately the second time I started the Steam WoG all my progress was gone!  >:( So don't uninstall your standalone WoG immediatly/delete the save files immediatly. Guess I have to complete the game again...

Re: Save transfer from standalone to steam version?tasker10/25/2008 - 19:24

Both the Steam and the standalone versions use the same directory to store save data.

(Or at least they did, until yesterday's stealth patch for the standalone version came out...)

See >>this topic<< for the file locations on Vista and XP!

Re: Save transfer from standalone to steam version?The Happy Friar10/25/2008 - 21:08

strange... i installed the patch & didn't loose any of my saves, nothing movied.  :?

Re: Save transfer from standalone to steam version?Marius10/25/2008 - 21:26

[quote author=The Happy Friar link=topic=590.msg4290#msg4290 date=1224986934]strange... i installed the patch & didn't lose any of my saves, nothing moved. :?Same for me.

Edit: Actually, it did! It's now in the location depicted here: link
The old file is still there, but doesn't get updated anymore...
My guess is, this is to fix the problem of running WoG when not in admin mode.

Last modified Sat, 10/25/2008 - 21:39 by Marius
Re: Save transfer from standalone to steam version?tasker10/25/2008 - 22:19

And once it creates the save file in the new location, it doesn't read the original one any more... so the Steam and non-Steam versions can get out of sync.  :-\

Re: Save transfer from standalone to steam version?Marius10/26/2008 - 03:54

My solution would be a symbolic link of the data directory... but that may be a little complex/unusual for other people..