Ethical question. Is it allowed to use multiple profiles for Goo Corp?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Ethical question. Is it allowed to use multiple profiles for Goo Corp?Marius10/25/2008 - 21:37

I've been thinking about this. If you were to make a tower in Goo Corp, which would get you up quite high, and you would want to improve it, but not lose your score, you could start a new profile with the same name, get 300 balls (not that hard), and build a new tower without losing the old one. When you surpass your old tower, you can trash the old tower.

Is this a valid strategy, or is it cheating? Or is it grey area?

If your answer is that it's cheating, would you still do it if you knew other people were doing it?

Last modified Sun, 10/26/2008 - 04:00 by Marius
Re: Ethical question. Is it allowed to use multiple profiles for Goo Corp?martinarcand110/25/2008 - 22:19

I'm guessing most people wouldn't go through collecting 300 balls again, but then again this IS WoG, so people Would do that :D

Does ranking work per computer, or per profile?  If per computer, who cares? :D  If per profile that would be cheating since you'd have 3 high scores... >.>

:D

Re: Ethical question. Is it allowed to use multiple profiles for Goo Corp?Marius10/26/2008 - 03:50

I would. Haven't yet, but I would. 300 balls is trivial.

The cheating isn't because you get multiple highscores*, rather, in my opinion, it's because you can have multiple towers at once, where the idea of the Goo Corp is that when your tower crashes, you won't have your score anymore, and also, if you want to keep your score, you can't attempt to build higher.
But with this method, you can keep your score, but still build higher.

*I feel my own highscores are irrelevant unless they're in the top few :P

I'm quite tempted though to do this, since I do think people will eventually, and it will be hard to stop.
/me's waiting for some more community thoughts on this.

Last modified Sun, 10/26/2008 - 05:40 by Marius
Re: Ethical question. Is it allowed to use multiple profiles for Goo Corp?Try_lee10/26/2008 - 07:50

I don't see the problem with it, unless you're hogging up the top three spots.  That'd just be mean.

Re: Ethical question. Is it allowed to use multiple profiles for Goo Corp?The Happy Friar10/26/2008 - 11:19

no issues.  people in ET:QW will get to the max rank in one account, then start another to start all over.

Re: Ethical question. Is it allowed to use multiple profiles for Goo Corp?Marius10/27/2008 - 09:18

Okay :P

Check out this page: http://hell.student.utwente.nl/wog/
There's 2 profiles called Marius. in one of them I'm trying a new design of Goo Corp tower. It will probably prove to not work, but it's an interesting concept :P Also, wow, those cable goos are over one and a half times as long as the regular triangles!