PPC Linux?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
PPC Linux?themacmeister11/14/2008 - 02:58

Just installed PPC Linux on an old G3, and it occurred to me that quite a few people are running PPC linux on G4, G5, dual-G5 machines, and they could get a real kick out of WoG. You have a PPC version for Mac, so it shouldn't be a big stretch to bring out a correct-endian version for PPC Linux as well as x86 Linux?

What say you devs?

(PS, I will ***NOT*** be running it on my 300MHz G3 with no DMA or accelerated (Rage Pro) graphics - that is TOO old-school)

Re: PPC Linux?Mashandar11/14/2008 - 06:34

no offence, but wouldn't that be kind of a longshot to ask them to do so? I mean,
the PPC architecture is mainly associated with mac's, and as far as I know, not that many
people use linux on PPC machines.

it would be a nice thing for them to do, but I personally wouldn't expect them to go that
far.

PPC Linux?themacmeister11/14/2008 - 22:41

I must say that the OSX version supports PPC. This was applauded by all Mac users still stuck with PPC machines - there are PLENTY still in circulation.

From the iMac onward (newworld macs), any PPC linux, and there are about a dozen, install and run sweetly on Apple hardware. The most popular is YellowDog which also runs on the Playstation 3. This is mainly because it is well supported and fairly up-to-date.

I recently installed Xubuntu on an old G3, and was surprised at how well these machines run Linux. All features on Laptops are supported, including Sleep/Hibernate and CPU Frequency Scaling.

Linux is the only real alternative to OSX. I would LOVE to see it playable on the PS3 as well (take THAT Microsoft!).

Re: PPC Linux?davidc11/15/2008 - 02:52

Yeah I was testing GooTool (and hence WoG) on my brother's pre-Intel MacBook (G4 I think) and it ran like a dream (apart from sound clicks and rare-case crashes that I've already reported). 2dboy really can't be expected to port to every platform and packaging format in existence, particularly those where you can just run under emulation and/or run without your fave packaging (.deb for example seems overkill since that's just an end-user convenience for a specific GNU/Linux distribution, the tar.gz that they release will work just fine).

Re: PPC Linux?themacmeister11/15/2008 - 03:04

My Bad, I forgot there is MoL (Mac on Linux), which should let you run the Mac universal binary under Linux anyways. I wouldn't want to run the Intel PC version under PPC Wine - like watching grass grow...

Re: PPC Linux?davidc11/15/2008 - 03:21

[quote author=themacmeister link=topic=792.msg5861#msg5861 date=1226736257]
My Bad, I forgot there is MoL (Mac on Linux), which should let you run the Mac universal binary under Linux anyways. I wouldn't want to run the Intel PC version under PPC Wine - like watching grass grow...

Y'know, I'm not sure that would be the case. The WoG concept and thus actual code seem so simple that I've had no problems running it even on my 8-year old Sony laptop. So if PPC Wine has any kind of JIT/AOT translation I think it might be fine!

Re: PPC Winethemacmeister11/17/2008 - 05:02

PPC Wine (DarwinePPC) lags horribly behind the Intel releases (which are done by a single person I believe). The version I used to have was 0.94 from memory, and that was after wine went 1.0!

PPC Wine on a PPC machine is only of use if you do not have OSX, and why would you replace OSX with Linux (OK, I know a few people who would do it, but a VERY small percentage). Just boot into OSX and play it (or use MoL).

Enough said - you can lock this post now :)