Super Fuse Challenge Time OCD

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDLavode12/03/2008 - 17:11

Hi all, I'm new here, but couldn't find this anywhere.

On the PC version, if you start from the world map and do SFTC, you have 1 minute 15 seconds to complete it once you are able to take control.

If you hit Retry, you get about 10 extra seconds.  I think the burning starts at the bottom, rather than mid way up.  This is the only way I was able to complete the OCD on this level.

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDherminator12/03/2008 - 18:47

Also, there is a way to have the fuse burn out, and have remaining structure and balls with which to build...

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDLavode12/04/2008 - 01:32

I had heard that.  I can't figure it out!  Can you give me a hint?

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDherminator12/04/2008 - 05:06

Hint: If you attach a red goo to other red goo balls that are already burning, the fire won't spread to the goo you just attached...

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDLavode12/04/2008 - 12:45

Thanks!  Managed to stop the fuse after a few attempts and experimenting.  Managed to get 26 Goos.  I'm sure I could work up to OCD that way, cool that there are multiple ways to get it!

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDherminator12/04/2008 - 12:54

Tip 2: Your unbound red goo are vulnerable to burning up before you stop the fuse. You can prevent this by keeping them safe on clouds...

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDSoultaker12/04/2008 - 16:01

Ahh, nice trick! I always wondered how that was done.

At least I got this OCD the proper way: by building very fast and praying the goos go through the pipe before the structure burns down. :P It's hard, but not impossible.

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDangilong12/04/2008 - 19:16

I'm not getting it.  Are you stopping the fuse below the platform, or above?  Anyone have a video?

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDLavode12/04/2008 - 19:27

You can't stop the fuse while it's on its way up, but when it gets to the structure, there is a very narrow window of opportunity before it is totally consumed.  Unfortunately, most of your extra balls will also be consumed, and they can help destroy everything on the platform if they are too numerous.

That's why you want to stash them.

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDOlivaise12/06/2008 - 22:44

[quote author=Lavode link=topic=948.msg6807#msg6807 date=1228436853]
You can't stop the fuse while it's on its way up, but when it gets to the structure, there is a very narrow window of opportunity before it is totally consumed.  Unfortunately, most of your extra balls will also be consumed, and they can help destroy everything on the platform if they are too numerous.

That's why you want to stash them.

It seems virtually impossible because the entire structure will be consumed, then what will there be left to build off of?

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDherminator12/07/2008 - 10:30

See my hint in the fourth post in this thread...

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDOlivaise12/07/2008 - 12:12

[quote author=herminator link=topic=948.msg6945#msg6945 date=1228663858]
See my hint in the fourth post in this thread...

That's what I'm saying... after the tower collapses, there's no structure to build off of with your stashed goos.

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDherminator12/07/2008 - 14:08

Yes. So don't build a tower, but stash your goo. Then wait for the fuse to reach the top. Then, when the top level goo start burning, quickly attach a goo to the burning structure, then quickly another one to that one. If you do this after the structure is already burning, the new goo will not start burning, and when the structure burns out, your two newly attached goo, with the link between them, will remain and form the basis of your new structure...

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDLavode12/08/2008 - 11:45

It's hard, and it takes a bit of practice, but the key is to make sure that the entire top structure is burning before you attach your first goo ball.  Quickly attach another goo to the now unburning posts and when the last of the burning structure you will be left with a small unburnt structure.  Then the only thing you have to worry about are loose goos catching fire and burning your new structure. 

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDBayleyWick01/01/2009 - 12:19

As I am slow, I just may never get Super Fuse or the Tower of Goo as OCD. I have been trying to stash goo and stop the fuse, but don't seem to have the knack. I would love to see it done (visual learner). Did/Could/Would someone who can make it work post a video?

Re: Super Fuse Challenge Time OCDwombat194001/01/2009 - 20:08

Unfortunately I don't enjoy Super Fuse Challenge.  Maybe because I'm old and slow. I like to think things through.  The enforced time based level makes it seem a bit arcadish to me.  Imaging playing Myst on an enforced time based system.  Anyway ..... SFC is the only one I've struck so far ..... so I can still dodder on at my own pace on with the others.  ;);D