Error Message when installing: Sad for Grand-children on Xmas Day

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Error Message when installing: Sad for Grand-children on Xmas Daywombat194012/25/2008 - 07:13

The link given to me by 2D Boy for the download was from here:

[link removed by moderator]

The download file for Windows was: 

WorldOfGooSetup.1.30.exe  a 162 byte file which appears to be a DOS file?   ???

When opening received this error message:

C;\DOCUME~1\Mal\Desktop\WORLDO~1.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0000 IP:oo77 OP:f0 37 05 0e 02 Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

Big disappointment for Grandpa and the Grandkids.  :'(

Assistance please.

Grandpa

Last modified Thu, 12/25/2008 - 08:07 by kyle
Re: Error Message when installing: Sad for Grand-children on Xmas Dayherminator12/25/2008 - 07:36

I have no problem downloading it.

Perhaps you tried to download by right click, please try this one:
[blue][link removed now that it has worked out][/blue]

The file should be about 64 MB in size

Oh, and to explain what I mean:
On your original download link, you get a page with a link to "WorldOfGoo.exe". However, that link actually leads to another webpage, which then has a link to your actual download. So if, on the first page, you right-clicked and selected "Save file as", then it will actually download that other webpage, which is very small (I tried it and it seems to be 173 bytes, very close to the 162 you're seeing)

Last modified Thu, 12/25/2008 - 08:23 by herminator
Re: Error Message when installing: Sad for Grand-children on Xmas Daywombat194012/25/2008 - 08:19

Thank you herminator but I've just fixed it!  ;D

Yes I think you are right the small exe file does lead you elsewhere and downloads that 64Mb file.  Its now loaded and a quick check all appears to work.  I've just come rushing back here to advise others of how I had solved it; either or both changes may need to be effected to achieve success.

1...... I closed down my Firewall which is ZoneAlarm free version.

2...... Went to the advised download link using Windows Internet Explorer and NOT Firefox.

It downloaded the 64Mb exe file perfectly and comments installing.
I now have the 64Mb exe file on my Desktop together with a Shortcut icon to "boot the Goo"

Its now 12.08am here but I don't think I go and wake the G'kids.  ;) But wait until the morning.  :D

My g'daughters are 12 and 9 and I'm 68.  Boxing Day is going to be great now especially for me.

Thanks again.

Important: When installing there is a check box to turn off the Dirty Version.  I assume I know what that is and its not for 12 and 9 year olds and maybe 68 year olds as well.  :P ::)

Wombat

Last modified Thu, 12/25/2008 - 08:23 by wombat1940
Re: Error Message when installing: Sad for Grand-children on Xmas Dayherminator12/25/2008 - 08:25

Ok, good to hear it worked out, hope the kids enjoy the game! :D

Re: Error Message when installing: Sad for Grand-children on Xmas Daywombat194012/26/2008 - 10:52

Just checked. The problem was FireFox.