Skipping sound

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Skipping soundfjarle12/26/2008 - 19:50

(edit - fixed the problem. anyone else with skipping sound might want to do the same, so if the mods don't disagree, I think perhaps I'll leave this for the next troubled Goo'er around /edit)

I tried searching the forum for a solution to this, but no joy.

World of Goo runs nicely on my old laptop in every way - except for the sound. The sound skips and cracks. I'd probably blame bad drivers if other games didn't work just fine. Anyone else having the same problem? Some levels seem to be better than others in this respect - but on most the sound is quite bad. For those of you familiar with the phenomenon - it sounds more or less like the pci latency bug on the old Sound Blaster models.

The computer is a Toshiba Tecra M2 with the following specs:

Intel Pentium Mobile 1,5GHz
Geforce FX5200M 64MB
SoundMAX Integrated Audio
1GB DDR RAM
120GB HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate

If anyone have any good ideas I'd be very thankful. Finding good drivers for this old thing is getting a bit hard, so I'm not sure if there's much to be done about it if it is a driver issue...

(Edit)
Oh, and I just noticed. The skipping disappears completely when I minimize the game and it runs in the background. Weird. Could this be related to the graphics for some reason?

(edit2)
I'd be trying the patch, but I got the game from steam, so I don't think it will work?

(edit3)
Is there perhaps some way to kill the music - not the sound - via that */properties/config.txt ? Right now there seems to be only screen related info there, but perhaps there's a syntax for adding more options?

(edit4)
Disregard me. I fiddled around with the config.txt a bit, and changing the refreshrate to 50 solved it.

Last modified Fri, 12/26/2008 - 21:27 by fjarle