demo on Windows

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
demo on Windowse4012/27/2008 - 12:22

So, I heard about world of goo from a post on piracy (specifically http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001201.html).  Having an 8yr old, decided to try the demo to see if it's something he might like.

On my XP machine with an nVidia GeForce 8500 GT the screen went completely blank as soon as the demo launched.  Strangely, the monitor immediate started displaying "no signal".  I had to remote desktop into the computer and kill the program to get my display back--I tried lots of different key strokes at the console to get the program to exit, but nothing worked.

So then I tried it in a virtual box 2.1 XP install.  Didn't work there because it needs Direct3D (2.1 only supports OpenGL).  Supposedly Direct3D will be available in a future update.

So, I uninstalled on both and have yet to try the thing.  Sigh.

When Direct3D is available, I'm guessing the demo will no longer run (because months will have gone by since my first install).  I will then be in the between a rock and a hard place position of 1) do I never try the demo and thus never become a possible legit user of World of Goo, or 2) do I pirate it just to try it out?  What an ironic predicament, given how I found World of Goo in the first place.