Purchased World of Goo - link doesn't work - please help

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Purchased World of Goo - link doesn't work - please helpmedude9501/04/2009 - 21:43

Hello,

My son loved the demo of World of Goo, and he talked me into buying him the full game, which I did on his computer tonight, via paypal.

The link to the game was sent to my computer. I forwarded it to his, and clicked on it, and it sits on the "save" screen after loading for about 3 minutes, then just stops working.  It's been sitting like that for almost an hour - no change in the screen.

I have tried several times, with the same result this evening, giving each time at least 30 minutes to work. We tried the "save" option twice, and the "run" option once. Both load half way, then stop dead.

I would like assistance please.  My money was received by you, yet I have received no contact information to report this problem. I have spent a great deal of time here, creating an account and searching the help to figure out how to post a topic just to get what I already paid for.

I hope there will be prompt response from you - preferably to my son's email account that is registered on this site.

Thank you,
Mom of Medude

Re: Purchased World of Goo - link doesn't work - please helpkyle01/05/2009 - 01:20

Hi medude95, everything looks ok from here. Our servers get a bit busy on weekend evenings, so it's possible there was a temporary problem. Are you on a high speed connection? Try once more, and let me know at the link below if you still can't download it so we can find another way to get you the file:
http://2dboy.com/contact.php

Kyle

Re: Purchased World of Goo - link doesn't work - please helpjcm01/05/2009 - 17:48

Hi,

I'm having similar problems as medude95.

I have a high speed web connection via Comcast, and am trying to download the windows and mac versions. Each time I get ~ 1MB of download and then the download just hangs. This problem has persisted since Sunday, Jan 4th.

The only workaround I've found so far is on the mac side. I pause and restart the download about every 5 seconds. Each time I restart the download I get another 1MB of the download file.

I think the work you two have done is really fantastic and eagerly chalked up the $20 for your great game, especially after reading a blog http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001201.html citing a 90% piracy rate of your game.

Thanks for the great game!

Re: Purchased World of Goo - link doesn't work - please helpjcm01/06/2009 - 07:30

Update--The windows download worked just fine at 7:25am EST today. The MAC download worked last night, although I had to stop and start every 3 seconds to get the file on the mac.

Re: Purchased World of Goo - link doesn't work - please helpVinli01/26/2009 - 23:31

I had identical problems. Windows version, purchased today. I received the email, followed the links, and each time the download would reach a certain percentage (between 11% and 47%) and then hang indefinitely. I tried five times with no luck in Internet Explorer (version 7.0.5) then managed to get it to work by using a third party free download manager.

Tried the demo yesterday and was so impressed I had to get the game today. Worth the $20!!!!! Anyone downloading this from a torrent site should hang their heads in shame!

<3 your work Ron and Kyle!

Re: Purchased World of Goo - link doesn't work - please helpKissaki01/29/2009 - 10:33

[quote author=Vinli link=topic=1238.msg9106#msg9106 date=1233030661]
Anyone downloading this from a torrent site should hang their heads in shame!

Where's the problem if they bought it?
It's a good alternative if the dl doesn't work again.

Re: Purchased World of Goo - link doesn't work - please helpVinli01/29/2009 - 23:44

True, I was referring more to people pirating, sorry for the misunderstanding. As I mentioned though, I managed to get the download to work by using an open-source download manager rather than the standard browser downloader. Not sure what difference that made, perhaps downloading in sections in parallel? Perhaps the standard download was taking too long and timing out?

The download links are called "temporary" in the registration email right, how long do they stay valid?