Problem launching WOG on Vista - BEX problem

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Problem launching WOG on Vista - BEX problemwogvpro01/07/2009 - 10:22

I have just purchased WOG.  I have installed it on my laptop (Visa 64 bit, 4 GB of ram, dual core, ATI graphics chip).  The laptop's OS is only recently installed and includes SP1 and all recent updates from Microsoft.

When I run WOG, the screen is clearly resizing (with big cursor), and then it fails.  Vista kindly offers to "search for a solution", but (of course) finds nothing.  The "error report" from Vista is included below.

Note that I have also tried running this on a 32 bit Vista laptop (very different hardware and a different type of Vista), and got the same error message.

It does not seem to depend on DEP (Data execution prevention) being on or off.

I have used the sysinternals Process Monitor to watch the program run (file it opens, registry events, etc), but I did not see anything especially out of the ordinary.

Can anyone help?  Any ideas?

M

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX
  Application Name: WorldOfGoo.exe
  Application Version: 0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 491dadd8
  Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll
  Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.1434
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4757746d
  Exception Offset: 00008aa0
  Exception Code: c000000d
  Exception Data: 00000000
  OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: c4c2
  Additional Information 2: 62f5fa47f460d99d6d49063aef08f5f6
  Additional Information 3: 38c2
  Additional Information 4: 7981f8bd9b70881945cbe59175c27f0f

Re: Problem launching WOG on Vista - BEX problemFluffyWolf201/07/2009 - 19:23

It appears the BEX error is really not related to World of Goo while viewing information about the error. I've seen Coral, Internet Explorer 7, iTunes, and many other programs with people talking about the error.

Link 1: http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=29867
Here you will see someone explaining the error, again a BEX error. There is an administrative thought and command line command suggested.

Link 2: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1819609&tstart=255
Apple iTunes error. At the end there is this quote:

Quote:

I had this problem....read some people suggested it was internet related!!!
so i power cycled my router.....that cured this BEX issue for me!!!

If you have any Anti-Virus software that blocks applications getting to the web, I would suggest to whitelist World of Goo. Following this any firewall again allowing World of Goo. Finally make sure you run it in an administrative fashion allowing all privileges.

Unfortunately the error seems to be internet related, as the one solution was someone power cycling their router.

Best of luck! Let us know of any updates to the problem.

Edit:
I am currently running Vista Home Premium, 32-Bit 2GB Intel Duo Core 2 GHz and have no problems.