Windows 7 Beta

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Windows 7 Betaethanwarner01/11/2009 - 17:22

This may be Microsoft's problem, but I figured I'd post it here so someone else can give it a try.

I just downloaded and installed the beta of windows 7, available to the public from microsoft as of 01/09/2009. I've been playing world of goo on my previous vista install and been loving it! Unfortunately, when I installed world of goo on the windows 7 installation, the game fails at startup.

This is the same hardware that previously worked fine.

When the game is launched, I see a 800x600 black box on the desktop (most likely pre resolution change), no sound, no graphics, nada. It crashes almost instantaneously. I get a message from windows telling me that "worldofgoo.exe has stopped working." I tried compatability mode for every available previous OS and none of them worked. I've got the latest drivers from nVidia. I found a crash log file in the world of goo folder and it said something about Exception: Access Violation and gave an error number a few lines down StackWalk failed (error 299)

If this problem is specific to my computer that's fine, but I have a feeling this is related to the windows 7 so I thought I'd let you know of the problem asap. thanks so much and I love the game!

I'm pretty tech-saavy so I'm up for any troubleshooting.

AMD Athlon 2800+
512MB RAM
nVidia GeForce 256 (64MB)

Re: Windows 7 BetaBioran2301/12/2009 - 04:00

World of Goo is perfectly compatible with World of Goo, at least on my comp.

Perhaps try reinstalling WoG? :-\

Re: Windows 7 Betaethanwarner01/12/2009 - 10:03

I'm also having trouble playing video files. Another forum has me thinking that it stems from a problem with my nVidia drivers. I'll see if I can restore the ones I was using previously and see if that works.

Re: Windows 7 Betaspazturtle01/13/2009 - 08:03

win 7 uses xp drivers so try them

Re: Windows 7 BetaGoo Goo Dolls12/25/2009 - 14:48

I've had that problem too and I checked the README and it said it is compadible for Windows XP & Vista.  Sorry but I guess it won't work for 7. :'(

Re: Windows 7 Betaspazturtle12/25/2009 - 17:21

World Of Goo works at optimal in Windows 7 and this topic is old so dont post in it again.

Re: Windows 7 Betasmartygeek03/01/2010 - 18:26

[quote author=ethanwarner link=topic=1287.msg8670#msg8670 date=1231712520]
Exception: Access Violation and gave an error number a few lines down StackWalk failed (error 299)

Access Violation? Are you an admin, if not, the program is prbably trying to create/delete a file in a folder that you do not have the rights to edit.

I have the same problem, but the wierd thing is that it WORKED for about a day, but then once, when I was playing, it crashed giving me that error, and when I tried to re-launch it, it gave me the error again, and it still is. Has anyone found a fix? If so, please respond ASAP. You can email me @

Last modified Mon, 03/01/2010 - 18:29 by smartygeek
Re: Windows 7 BetaGMMan03/01/2010 - 19:01

[quote author=smartygeek link=topic=1287.msg16909#msg16909 date=1267486012]
[quote author=ethanwarner link=topic=1287.msg8670#msg8670 date=1231712520]
Exception: Access Violation and gave an error number a few lines down StackWalk failed (error 299)

Access Violation? Are you an admin, if not, the program is prbably trying to create/delete a file in a folder that you do not have the rights to edit.

I have the same problem, but the wierd thing is that it WORKED for about a day, but then once, when I was playing, it crashed giving me that error, and when I tried to re-launch it, it gave me the error again, and it still is. Has anyone found a fix? If so, please respond ASAP. You can email me @

Why don't you start a new topic?
Anyways, it worked fine for me in Win7 Beta. Never crashed or anything. In fact, it has worked fine in every operating system I've tried (including Linux). Try taking your own advice, run the program as admin and see if it solves itself.