garbled graphics with linux and wine

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
garbled graphics with linux and winesanktnelson01/13/2009 - 18:48

hmm, seems almost everyone else has no problem getting WoG to work in wine. for me however, the graphics are all garbled up. It seems like verything that should be on the screen is there in priciple, but with most of the textures missing or something. During startup when there should be all the funny quotes, all I get is dots. This is on ubuntu intrepid on a thinkpad x61t with some crappy integrated intel graphics thing. Other OpenGL stuff works fine (the gl-screensavers anyway). Haven't tested anything else with 3D in wine. had the problem both with stock wine from intrepid and with updated wine from debian experimental (which is 1.1.12).

Anyone with the same problem? Any suggestions?

Re: garbled graphics with linux and wineSoultaker01/13/2009 - 19:28

I suggest signing up for the Linux beta and see if you have problems there, too. It may be that your Intel graphics card doesn't support some features necessary for the DirectX emulation by Wine (which probably uses OpenGL) or maybe it just runs out of memory or something like that. The Linux port uses OpenGL too, so maybe it has the same problems, but it would be interesting to give it a try.

Re: garbled graphics with linux and winesanktnelson01/13/2009 - 21:37

I signed up for the mailing list, but I haven't received any confirmation or any list mails.

Re: garbled graphics with linux and winebobw01/14/2009 - 13:49

I've tried running under wine on three systems.

Two work and the third displays garbage. Nothing I've tried will get the third machine to work.

I suspect it depends on the type of graphics hardware. You best bet to wait for the Linux port.

Re: garbled graphics with linux and winedakira01/18/2009 - 23:48

Hi.. I wrote a little guide that might help you.
http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,1321.0.html

Re: garbled graphics with linux and winejamierc01/27/2009 - 03:23

Which windows manager are you using? Turn off Compiz, and any desktop effects.